Help a refugee learn English in her or his home!
73 people are interested
The goal of the ESL Initiative of Jericho Road Community Health Center is to equip refugee adults in our community who are the most isolated and have the least access to English instruction with the language skills they need in their everyday lives.
Using a simple, conversational English curriculum, help a small group of refugees learn English in a home. Training and experience teaching ESL is prefered, but we do provide training, as well. Scheduling is flexible and materials can be provided.
- Teach functional English based upon student level and area of need
- Obtain class materials from ESL Initiative office and prepare lessons for class
- Encourage student progress, and conduct periodic assessments
- Report hours spent volunteering, names and contact information of any new students, and an update on class to program staff through trackitforward.com and quarterly Class Update Forms.
- Report any concerns, difficulties, misunderstandings encountered during class sessions to the program staff
About Jericho Road Community Health Center
184 Barton Street, 233 West Ferry Street, Buffalo, NY 14213, US
Our mission is to provide a culturally sensitive medical home, especially for refugee and low-income community members, facilitating wellness and self-sufficiency by addressing health, education, economic and spiritual barriers in order to demonstrate Jesus' unconditional love for the whole person.
Our vision is for Buffalo to become a city with abundant opportunity for the under-served and marginalized to be healthy, educated and whole.
Please see our website at www.jrm-buffalo.com for more information.
We'll work with your schedule.
233 W Ferry Street.Buffalo, NY 14213
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Adult Education
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Relationship Building
- Reading / Writing
- Teaching / Instruction
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- ~5 hours/week for a min. of six months