This position is responsible for assisting with loading of customer purchases, as well as inspection, unloading, cleaning, pricing, and displaying donated items using all safety precautions, proper procedures and common sense in a friendly and helpful manner; this volunteer is also responsible to assist with e-waste, recycling, and inventory management.
This position serves the ReStore Department
This volunteer is responsible to the ReStore Director or his/her designee, as well as the Back Office Worker
This position is an unpaid (pro bono) volunteer position.
02/15/2017 by G McAllister
- This position is needed to promote and enhance profits at the Clovis ReStore, which is a prime revenue stream to fund Habitat for Humanity Fresno County’s mission to construct low-cost housing so low-income families can afford to purchase homes.
- This position is designed to (1) handle inventory, (2) maintain a retail facility that is well-organized and easy to use, and (3) provide support for pricing, inventory, shipping and sales.
- Sign in and sign out using VolunteerHub.
- Utilize walkie-talkie for communication with ReStore employees and volunteers
- Utilize pricing hardware
- Assist with customers/donors with loading/unloading of purchases or donations
- Assist ReStore Director with shipping
- Assist Back Office worker with e-waste and recycling
- Assist with controlling the loss of merchandise from the sales floor and improving profitability
- Check sales receipts on all items leaving the ReStore if requested
- Monitor sales floor for vagrancy, thievery, breakage
- Monitor persons who present a security or inventory threat
- Alert management to safety hazards in or leading into the ReStore
- Take initiative to prevent entry into hazardous areas
- Close doors to customer entry when instructed by ReStore Director or designee
- Assist with cleanup with hazardous conditions if requested and if safe to do so
- Keep doors clear of clutter and litter
- Keep warehouse/loading area clean, safe, and organized
Donor service responsibilities
- Carry non-cash donations to the pricing area after being accepted at the front desk
- Explain donation policies and procedures to prospective donors
- Alert supervisor regarding donations, if front desk is crowded
Customer service responsibilities
- Promote Habitat for Humanity and its mission
- Greet customers entering the store or yard
- Assist customers with location of desired products
- Provide directions to restrooms, water cooler, checkout, etc.
- Return abandoned shopping carts to appropriate area
- Provide "SOLD" ticket and pen for customer to fill out information to secure purchased items that are left for pickup or will be delivered
- Explain delivery policies and procedures
- Assist in cleaning, pricing, and organizing merchandise.
- Arrange items on display shelves and sales floor.
- Rearrange furniture and other merchandise in all departments as directed
- Help keep aisles clean and safe
- Between 9am and 530pm, as scheduled Monday-Saturday weekly
- The volunteer commits to work at least two four-hour shifts per week
The volunteer verifies attendance at the work site using the VolunteerHub kiosk in the ReStore lead office worker’s office.
- All HFHFC volunteers are entitled to a 30% discount on items at the ReStore within their volunteer service dates.
- Upon request, the HFHFC Volunteer office will provide letters of recommendation for volunteers who fulfilled the perimeters of their roles.
- Upon request, HFHFC Volunteer office will sign paperwork or write letters of verifying volunteer hours for individuals performing court-ordered community service.
- Upon request, HFHFC Volunteer office will sign paperwork or write letters verifying volunteer hours for students completing volunteer hours to fulfill academic requirements.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Understanding of HFHFC history, vision, mission, purpose, goals, & objectives
- Signed (or electronically verified) waiver
- Using VolunteerHub
- Appropriate behavior
- Understanding of selected program’s mission, purpose, goals, & objectives
- Heat illness prevention
- Signed safety sheet
- Tour of facilities
- Specific training on security, customer service, retail, and safety and volunteer management
- Sales policies & procedures*
- Safety policies & procedures*
- Security policies & procedures*
- Volunteer management policies & procedures*
- Customer service methods*
Computer & Equipment Skills
- Ability to use VolunteerHub*
- Multi-lingual (esp. Spanish and Hmong) a plus
- Basic math skills
- Friendly and courteous attitude
- Excellent organizational skills
*Training will be provided by ReStore personnel in these areas
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- No experience necessary
- Previous sales or security experience a plus
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- The work is performed 70% indoors, 30% outdoors.
- Temperature variants: 35°-110°.
- The Clovis ReStore facility is not climate-controlled. The Fresno ReStore is climate-controlled.
- The position varies between being active and sedentary, depending on customer and donor flow.
- The minimum age for volunteers in this role is 16 yrs.
- Court-ordered community service volunteers may serve in this position.
- This position cannot be adjusted to make accommodations for volunteers with physical handicaps
- Problem-solving skills for helping customers and mitigating difficult situations
- Organizational skills for dealing with pricing, shelving, inventory, donations, etc.
- People skills for dealing with customers who may be misbehaving or customer complaints
- Lift 70 lbs
- Able to safely move heavy donations using dollies and other provided devices
- Stand for extended periods
- Work in non-temperature-controlled environment
- Hearing & speech within normal ranges
- Tolerate loud noises
- Adequate eyesight
This section must be included on every volunteer position description.
- Dresses appropriately (specific to site and duties)
- Assists with other duties as assigned on a regular or occasional basis
- Schedules self through Volunteer Hub a minimum of 24 hours prior to service shift
- Maintains confidentiality regarding any personal/financial information gained due to volunteer service with HFHFC
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY & NON-PROSELYTIZATION POLICY
Habitat for Humanity Fresno county is an equal; opportunity employer and seeks to employ (and recruit as volunteers) and assign the best-qualified personnel for all of our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve and National Guard status or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
Habitat for Humanity Fresno is a Christ-centered organization, but HFHF will not proselytize anyone volunteering with us. Nor will HFHF work with entities or individuals who insist on proselytizing as part of their work with HFHF. This means that HFHF will not offer assistance on the expressed or implied condition that people must adhere to or convert to a particular faith or listen and respond to messaging designed to induce conversion to a particular faith.
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 16
- 4 hour shift minimum
- Attire: Closed-toe shoes, shirt with sleeves (i.e., no tank-tops or sleeveless blouses). Waiver.
- ReStore Yard Supervisor- Clovis
- ReStore- Core Volunteer Leader-...
- Habitat for Humanity Fresno...
- ReStore- Volunteer Recruiter...
- ReStore- Greeter- Clovis
- ReStore- Electronics/Technology...
- Summer ReStore Clean Up Day!
- ReStore- General Labor- Clovis
- ReStore- Greeter- Fresno
- ReStore- General Labor- Fresno