Henry Vilas Zoo Volunteer
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
156 people are interested
"No matter what hat I wear around the zoo, the children are always the highlight. Whether it be shouts of joy when I blow the train whistle, the looks of intrigue when I explain that lions once roamed Ohio, or the giggles of glee when I put panda stamps on children's hands. It fills you with joy and softens your heart."
Do you like to smile? Looking for a way to volunteer in the beautiful weather? Consider joining the guest services team at the Zoo. Volunteers can choose from a variety of guest services roles or sample a variety of opportunities.
- Drive the Zoo Train
- Help guests feed the Goats
- Share a welcome and a smile with Zoo guests
- Provide directions and assistance on grounds
- Watch smiling guests at the carousel and train
- Provide vital special events assistance
The Zoo welcomed over 850,000 visitors in 2018. As an admission-free Zoo, anyone can visit regardless of means. Henry Vilas Zoo is an amazing place to experience the wonders of the natural world and immerse yourself in the amazing community that is Dane County.
Volunteer hours vary but are offered primarily between 10am and 4pm seven days a week. We connect a few volunteers with evening events at the Zoo and in the community throughout the year as well. If you are flexible, we are sure to find a role that fits your interests and schedule.
RESTRICTIONS: What do we require?
- A friendly smile
- A genuine desire to improve Zoo guests' experience
- A team spirit
We require 4 hours per month or 2 shifts per month.
Volunteers 14+ are eligible for most roles, while youth 10+ can volunteer with an adult in most areas. Volunteering at the Zoo is a great way to spend time with a buddy while helping to create a positive Zoo experience for everyone.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Henry Vilas Zoo
606 South Randall Ave, Madison, WI 53715, US
The purpose of The Friends of the Zoo is to raise funds to promote and support the programs and activities of the Henry Vilas Zoo.
To achieve our purpose, we work in partnership with the Henry Vilas Zoo to:
- Provide EDUCATION about the animal world.
- Support CONSERVATION of animals and their habitat.
- Enhance quality RECREATION and foster community pride.
- Acquire animals and create and/or improve exhibits.
- Raise and accept funds to accomplish these endeavors.
Friends of the Zoo helps keep the Henry Vilas Zoo free to the Madison community. Our volunteers and interns play an extremely important role in providing quality services to the many guests who utilize The Friends of the Zoo's services and programs.
We'll work with your schedule.
702 South Randall AveMadison, WI 53715
- Customer Service
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Environmental Education
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 14
- Orientation or Training
- 2 shifts a month for a total of 4 hours per month.