Volunteer Thrift Shop Associate
78 people are interested
The nonprofit Norwood Life Society Thrift Shop has been a part of the fabric of the Norwood Park community for over 30 years. People know our lovely resale boutique as a place to get great bargains and strike up new friendships. Our volunteers help generate as much revenue as possible with proceeds from the sale of donations supporting the very best in senior services and enhancing the independence and well-being of older adults.
There are a wide variety of tasks to keep volunteers busy throughout the day. Clothing is sorted from bags and boxes, tagged and priced and placed onto our sales floor. Household goods, books, artwork, collectables and smaller furniture are also sorted, cleaned and made ready for sale. Helping customers find what they are looking for and working as a cashier round out the duties of a Thrift Shop Associate.
Hours of Operation: Open every day except Sunday, 10 AM to 3 PM, Thursday until 7 pm
Frequency of Volunteer Commitment: Volunteers are expected to volunteer once a week for a minimum of 3 hours.
We are in great need of associates on Monday, Friday and Saturday afternoons: 12 to 3 pm.
Benefits of your commitment:
- Work a schedule that fits your lifestyle, whether once per week or three days per week.
- Interact with a lively, committed group of volunteers who use their creative and people skills in service of the residents of our community.
- If you love clothes and decorating, this is the place for you
- You receive a 25% discount on all regularly priced items
- Learn new retail skills or utilize customer service and decorating skills you already have while having fun
- On the day you work, you may treat yourself to a free hot lunch in our employee lunchroom
Duties and responsibilities may include some or all of the following:
- Sort, tag
- Organize and bag unsalable items for recycling
- Display and stock new products on the shelves.
- If you are creative, help us design and maintain Shop windows and other displays
- Respond to routine customer inquiries
- Learn the cash register and handle the front counter
- Must be 16 years or older
- Must be physically able to stand and lift donated goods
- Must have a positive, friendly demeanor
- Must support the goal of Norwood Life Society of providing the very best in senior services and enhancing the independence and well-being of older adults
Special Training: Full orientation and training provided by Director of Volunteer Services, Thrift Shop Volunteer Leadership team and other volunteers as appropriate.
We'll work with your schedule.
Norwood Life Society Thrift Shop6019 N. Nina AvenueChicago, IL 60631
- Customer Service
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- People 55+
- Must be at least 16
- Minimum once per week for a 3 hour shift.
- Work well as a part of a team, interpersonal flexibility, love of thrifting!