189 people are interested
Volunteer Thrift Shop Associate & Cashiers
ORGANIZATION: norVOLution, Norwood's Volunteer Revolution
Please visit the new page to apply.
189 people are interested
SATURDAY VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FROM 10 AM TO 1 PM (ASSOCIATE) AND 12 PM TO 3PM (CASHIER)
THURSDAY VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FROM 12 PM TO 3 PM (CASHIER) AND 3 PM TO 5 PM (CASHIER)
The nonprofit Norwood Life Society Thrift Shop has been a part of the fabric of the Norwood Park community for over 30 years. People know our lovely resale boutique as a place to get great bargains and strike up new friendships. Our volunteers help generate as much revenue as possible with proceeds from the sale of donations supporting the very best in senior services and enhancing the independence and well-being of older adults.
There are a wide variety of tasks to keep volunteers busy throughout the day. Clothing is sorted from bags and boxes, tagged and priced and placed onto our sales floor. Household goods, books, artwork, collectibles and smaller furniture are also sorted, cleaned and made ready for sale. Helping customers find what they are looking for and working as a cashier round out the duties of a Thrift Shop Associate.
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday 10 am to 3 pm
Thursday 10 am to 7 pm
Friday - Saturday 10 am to 3 pm
Commitment: Volunteers are expected to volunteer once a week for a minimum of 3 hours.
Benefits of your commitment:
- Work a schedule that fits your lifestyle, whether once per week or three days per week.
- Interact with a lively, committed group of volunteers who use their creative and people skills in service of the residents of our community.
- If you love clothes and decorating, this is the place for you
- You receive a 25% discount on all regularly priced items
- Learn new retail skills or utilize customer service and decorating skills you already have while having fun
- On the day you work, you may treat yourself to a free hot lunch in our employee lunchroom
Duties and responsibilities may include some or all of the following:
- Sort, tag
- Organize and bag unsalable items for recycling
- Display and stock new products on the shelves.
- If you are creative, help us design and maintain Shop windows and other displays
- Respond to routine customer inquiries
- Learn the cash register and handle the front counter
- Must be 16 years or older
- Must commit to a regularly scheduled shift
- Must be physically able to stand and lift donated goods
- Must have a positive, friendly demeanor
- Must support the goal of Norwood Life Society of providing the very best in senior services and enhancing the independence and well-being of older adults
Special Training: Full training provided by Thrift Shop Volunteer Leadership Team, Shift Leads, Director of Volunteer Services, Thrift Shop Manager, and other volunteers as appropriate.
About norVOLution, Norwood's Volunteer Revolution
6016-20 N. Nina Avenue, Chicago, IL 60631, US
At nor •VOL• ution we are mission-driven and our vision is an important part of that. We are sponsored by Norwood Life Society; a 501c(3) organization dedicated to enhancing the independence and well-being of older adults. Part of that enhancement is providing meaninful volunteer experiences for all members of our community; with a focus on creating or providing volunteer opportunities specifically for older adults who are looking to give back.
Mission: The purpose of the new organization is to enrich the lives of members of the Norwood Life Society community including the seniors we serve, our volunteers, the staff, and the community at large.
Vision: Our vision is to grow and strengthen our volunteer efforts to: 1) provide more services to our senior clientele, 2) enhance the lives of our volunteers, particularly mature adults, and 3) be of service to the broader community.
Values Statement: We are committed and passionate about the work we do. We respect the personal contribution of each individual and honor the impact they make. We respect our neighbors and work with them to improve the community in which we all reside. We value volunteers for the friendly, caring spirit that has characterized this organization for over 100 years.
Volunteers are welcomed and appreciated by all aspects of our organization. Volunteer opportunities are available in the following places:
Norwood Crossing--This is our assisted living, skilled nursing and sheltered care residence where volunteers provide necessary services and create relationships with our senior adult residents.
Norwood Seniors Network--This is our community outreach affiliate which provides everything from meals-on-wheels to nurse practitioner visits for older adults who prefer to age in their own homes.
Norwood Park Senior Center--We were recently awarded the privilege of co-operating (along with the City of Chicago) a new senior center in our neighborhood. The Senior Center provides a great community meeting spot for older adults in the Norwood Park neighborhood. In addition, clients and guests have access to exercise equipment, food, and beautiful views of the park.
Norwood Life Society Thrift Shop6019 N. Nina AvenueChicago, IL 60631
October 24, 2023
- Customer Service
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- People 55+
- Must be at least 16
- Minimum once per week for a 3 hour shift.
- Work well as a part of a team, interpersonal flexibility, love of thrifting!