Resettlement Volunteer - Palmdale/Lancaster
34 people are interested
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee is a leading, non-sectarian non-profit organization providing emergency relief, protection, rehabilitation assistance, resettlement services, and advocacy for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. Domestically, our 23 offices across the country ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency through English language classes, job training and placement services, and community participation activities. The Headquarters Resettlement Department provides guidance and oversight for the domestic offices.
The Resettlement Volunteer will assist casework staff in providing services to newly arriving refugees. Some essential position functions include:
- Assist casework staff with reception services to clients, including setting up apartments for new arrivals; assisting clients with application for Social Security and state identification cards; teaching clients how to cash checks and use public transportation; assisting clients with medical appointments, grocery shopping, and school; and preparing forms and paperwork.
- Provide transportation for refugees
- Display sensitivity to cultural and personality differences of refugee clients. Respect their beliefs and values.
- Maintain proper boundaries with clients, and refer issues regarding employment, social services, and health care to appropriate staff members
- Adhere to IRC policies, particularly those related to confidentiality and client privacy.
- Communicate effectively in person and by telephone
- Other related duties as assigned.
We'll work with your schedule.
625 N. Maryland Ave.Glendale, CA 91206
- Data Entry
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 5 hours per week, a minimum of 3 months