Formed in 1955, Beach Cities Health District is a public agency that provides health care services to the communities of Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach and Redondo Beach.
LiveWell Kids Program is an obesity prevention program in the eight RBUSD elementary schools and one Hermosa Beach elementary school that combines nutrition education, garden education, physical activity and parent education.
Garden Angels meet at the various locations on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings. Volunteers are asked to commit to a minimum of two shifts per month.
- Maintain gardens at assigned schools once per week in the following ways:
- Watering and weeding garden beds as needed
- Turn and water the compost bin
- Tend to garden waste overflow, taking green waste to and from the trash
- Adjust water timers (e.g., routine seasonal checks of days, time, minutes and zones)
- Complete weekly log regarding updates to and submit to Garden Coordinator (e.g., plant progress, soil and water conditions, garden pests)
- Contact Garden Coordinator regarding any urgent matters (e.g., broken pipes, vandalism)
- Minimum one-year commitment
Training will be provided by our professional staff and lead volunteers. So join us in making our community healthier!
- Must be 14 years or older
- Basic knowledge of gardens, including maintenance, planting, cultivating and harvesting
- Ability to perform physical labor (e.g., able to turn compost bin, weed and water)
- Ability to communicate with Garden Coordinator on a regular basis and explain clearly needs of gardens
All potential candidates are asked to complete the following application process to see if this position is an appropriate fit:
- Fill out application online at www.bchd.org/volunteer
- Participate in simple intake process conducted by Volunteer Services
- Interview with supervisor
- Youth Services
- Outdoor Recreation
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 14
- Orientation or Training
- 2 shifts per month minimum