Adult Literacy Tutor
28 people are interested
Help an adults aged 18 - 80 improve their reading, writing, math and English language skills to meet self-identified goals
- Plan lessons based on learner's goals, needs, abilities and interests
- Select adult materials and approaches that are suitable for learner's abilities and interests
- Meet regularly and punctually
- Keep records of learner attendance and progress; complete program reports as required
- Seek to understand the psychological, emotional, and physical problems that may cause adults to have difficulty learning to read
- Involve learner in decisions about the learning process
- Help learner develop confidence and a positive attitude about learning
- Notify program of any change in schedule or tutoring location; problems
Twice-weekly meetings with learners for 1-1/2 hours each time, with schedules arranged at the convenience of the tutor and learner; plus one to two hours per week preparing for lessons.
About Heart of Illinois Adult Literacy Center
YWCA of Pekin, 315 Buena Vista Avenue, Pekin, IL 61554, US
Heart of Illinois Adult Literacy Center believes that all adults should be given the opportunity to improve the quality of their lives through literacy. We support learner-centered instruction and encourage each individual to attain her personal educational goals. YWCA is dedicated to eliminating racism, empowering women and promoting peace, justice, freedom, and dignity for all.
Begun in 1985, the purpose of Heart of Illinois Adult Literacy Center is to provide free, volunteer-based education services to adult learners who want to increase their reading, writing, speaking, listening and math skills; achieve personal goals such as read to their children or get a driver's license; and further their education, training or employment. This is accomplished through one-on-one tutoring at locations throughout Tazewell County in literacy, adult basic education, pre-GED, and English for speakers of other languages.
We'll work with your schedule.
YWCA of Pekinand libraries in Tazewell & northern Mason County315 Buena Vista AvenuePekin, IL 61554
- Adult Education
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1 to 3 hours per week
- Diploma/GED; teaching experience not required