13 people are interested
Are you interested in learning something new? Do you like a challenge? Braille is a fascinating code that will keep you interested and challenged.Requirements:
* Adult (18+ Years)
* A high school diploma or equivalent
* A resident of Milwaukee or Southeast Wisconsin
* Must own a PC and be have basic computer skills - experience with Windows and knowledge of basic file management
* A good knowledge of English
* Able to read standard size print
* Attention to detail and a "perfectionist" attitude
* Strong problem solving skills
* Able to complete training and certification (see below)
* Long-term commitment (at least 12 months)
This is an ongoing and long-term commitment. We ask a minimum of 8 hours per week, ongoing, with more time required if Library of Congress certification is necessary.Training:
Certification by The Library of Congress will be required for this position. Please visit https://nfb.org/braille-transcribing for more information on the braille transcription course. We can help you sign up for their online course.Location:
At home, or at our office in the Central Library Building in downtown Milwaukee.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Audio & Braille Literacy Enhancement, Inc. (ABLE)
Central Library Bldg, 803 W Wells St, Milwaukee, WI 53233, US
Audio & Braille Literacy Enhancement's mission is to provide alternative ways for people with print disabilities to read.
We are a nonprofit organization that relies primarily on volunteers to provide materials in braille, audio and digital formats for people who are blind, visually impaired, or who have other print disabilities. We are committed to the belief that standard print materials should be accessible to everyone. Our specialized services are a key to dignity, productivity, enhanced literacy, and independence.
We'll work with your schedule.
803 W Wells StCentral Library BldgMilwaukee, WI 53233
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum of 8 hours a week.