"The Women's Cancer Program staff and my volunteer emotionally gave me a desire to live and fight for my life. The people of Shanti were an example that even through emotional struggle, I can also be an asset to society." - Women's Cancer Program Client
Since 1974, Shanti's peer support volunteers have been providing emotional and practical support people who are living with a life threatening illness as well as LGBT isolated seniors and adults with disablities, much like you would support a friend or family member in need. If you would like to tangibly enhance the life of someone who needs it the most, we encourage you to contact us and learn more about this truly unique opportunity. As a peer support volunteer, you will:
- Go through the internationally-recognized Shanti Model of Peer Support training
- Be matched 1 on 1 with a client to whom you will provide companionship, a non-judgmental ear and light practical assistance
- Join a community of thoughtful, supportive volunteers and staff You can make an invaluable difference in the life of someone who needs it the most, and have your life changed in the process.
Shanti has several volunteer trainings each year, and the next training will be held on the following dates:
Friday, August 4 th from 6:00-9:30pm
Saturday, August 5 th from 9:00-6:00pm
Sunday, August 6 th from 9:00-6:00pm
Wednesday, August 9 th from 6:00-9:30pm
If you are interested in attending the next training or have any questions, please contact Shanti's Volunteer Services at 415-674-4708 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
To view an inspirational video on the work of a Shanti volunteer go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAXf8_lRSts
Shanti was founded in 1974. Since its inception, Shanti has trained more than 18,000 individuals in the Bay Area and 600 organizations around the world in compassionately providing emotional and practical support to clients grappling with life-threatening illnesses & disabilities, social isolation and poverty. Recognized as the first community-based AIDS Organization in the world, Shanti serves over 2,000 of San Francisco's most vulnerable residents.
- Mental Health
- People Skills
- Animal Care / Handling
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 6 months for 2-6 hours weekly
- A Life-Changing Volunteer...
- HIV Services Intern
- Shanti Intern Needed: LGBTQ...
- Someone with cancer needs you.....
- Russian Speaking Volunteers for...
- PAWS is looking for pet support...
- Support LGBT Seniors and People...
- Pet Food Bank Delivery...
- Become an Activities Volunteer...
- Make a Difference in Someone's...