Program: On the Go, a program of Jewish Family Service, offers a variety of transportation options to older adults. The On the Go Rides & Smiles(r) Volunteer Driver provides individual rides for medical appts, shopping needs, visits to a spouse in a nursing home, taking a class, attending religious services & more.
Goal of Position:
Provide safe & reliable transportation to older adults ensuring they remain active, healthy, and connected to their community.
* Helping to enrich the lives of older adults
* Become part of the On the Go family
* Mileage reimbursement & secondary auto insurance provided by JFS
* Attend Volunteer Training & Appreciation events
* Making a difference in someone’s life!
* You decide who, when & where you want to drive
* Accept rides that work best for you using a web-based scheduling system
* Provide a clean, well-maintained vehicle and observe the "rules" of the road
* Provide friendly conversation during transport
* Report any unusual activity or behavior to the coordinator
* Volunteers may not accept tips, simply a heartfelt thank you!
* Be punctual, enjoy driving and meeting new people
* Possess patience and understanding for the older adult population
* Have a strong desire to help open the car doors for older adults in need
1. Must be at least 25 years old
2. Complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/driver
3. Engage in a phone screening interview with a member of JFS Volunteer Engagement staff
4. Attend a New Volunteer Training session-1 hour
5. Agree to background check, reference check, and privacy & security policy & authorize a DMV record report
6. Provide a copy of driver’s license and current proof of auto insurance
Provide at least 2 rides per month
NCI Rides & Smiles(r), Northern SD Rides & Smiles(r), Eastern Rides & Smiles(r)
Immediate Supervisor: Rides & Smiles(r) Coordinator; Coordinator of Volunteer Engagement
- People Skills
- Basic Computer Skills
- Elder care
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 24
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hours per month
- Interested volunteers should complete an online application at www.jfssd.org/volapp
- Musical Entertainers Needed!
- Event Planning Internship
- Development Administrative...
- Experience Career and Employment...
- Friendly Match: Mentor a Refugee...
- St. Paul's Cathedral: Help...
- Prepare Warm Meals to Feed Your...
- Give a Ride and a Smile: Older...
- Community Presenter Wanted!...
- Mandarin Translator
- Jewish BIGPals: Mentors Needed!
- Nutrition Server: Help Serve...
- Camp Pendleton & Murphy Canyon:...
- Blog & Social Media Internship
- Corner Market Volunteer: Restore...
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Home Not Alone: Help an Older...
- Nonprofit Reception Support...
- Activity Instructor/Facilitator
- Facilities Assitant