Drive our Seniors with On the Go, Rides & Smiles!
DONATE TO THIS
19 people are interested
Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. We believe our volunteers are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each volunteer is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Be our partner in Moving Forward Together.
On the Go is a program at Jewish Family Service of San Diego that offers a variety of transportation options to older adults. The On the Go, Rides & Smiles Volunteer Driver provides one-way individual rides for medical appointments, shopping needs, visits to a spouse in a nursing home, taking a class, attending religious services & more.
Goal of Position:
Provide safe & reliable transportation to older adults ensuring they remain active, healthy, and connected to their community.
- Helping to enrich the lives of older adults
- Become part of the On the Go family
- Mileage reimbursement & secondary auto insurance provided by JFS
- Attend Volunteer Training & Appreciation events
- Making a difference in someone’s life!
- You decide who, when & where you want to drive
- Accept rides that work best for you using a web-based scheduling system
- Provide a clean, well-maintained vehicle and observe the "rules" of the road
- Provide friendly conversation during transport
- Report any unusual activity or behavior to the coordinator
- Volunteers may not accept tips, simply a heartfelt thank you!
- Be punctual, enjoy driving and meeting new people
- Possess patience and understanding for the older adult population
- Have a strong desire to help open the car doors for older adults in need
- Must be 25-79 years old
- Complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/onthego
- Engage in a phone or email screening with a member of JFS Volunteer Engagement staff
- Attend a New Volunteer Training session-1 hour (consists of JFS general orientation and On the Go, Rides & Smiles specific driver training)
- Agree to background check, reference check, and privacy & security policy & authorize a DMV record report
- Provide a copy of driver’s license and current proof of auto insurance
Provide at least 2 rides per month for a minimum of 3 months
- Monday, January 7th at 6:00 PM
Contact for One-on-One Orientations:
firstname.lastname@example.org or (858) 637-3361
We'll work with your schedule.
Various Locations Around San DiegoSan Diego, CA 92123
- People Skills
- Basic Computer Skills
- Elder care
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 25
- Orientation or Training