Jewish BIGPals: Mentors Needed!
DONATE TO THIS
18 people are interested
Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. We believe our volunteers are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each volunteer is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Be our partner in Moving Forward Together.
Jewish BIGPals matches children 2nd grade through high school from Jewish single parent or non-traditional families with a Jewish mentor from the community. Jewish BIGPals support the children they are matched with in facing life transitions and helping them develop positive self-images, new behaviors, coping skills, and a strengthened Jewish identity. Volunteers and Little Pal families make a one-year commitment and meet twice per month.
Goal of Position:
To provide companionship, friendship, and life-enriching experiences to children from single-parent and non-traditional homes and to help them achieve their full potential through a 1:1 mentoring relationship.
- Serving as a positive role-model in the life of someone who needs it the most
- Helping to enrich the lives of children or teens from single-parent or non-traditional homes
- Personal satisfaction in performing the act of Tikkun Olam- helping to repair the world
- Meet with a child or teen in a 1:1 setting at least two times per month
- Participate in fun and engaging esteem-building activities with child or teen
- Maintain open communication with Program Coordinator
- Provide regular updates regarding activities with Little Pal through monthly Survey Monkey
- Must be Jewish male or female and reside in San Diego County
- Must show stability in personal life, relationships, and work history
- Must be reliable, responsible, flexible, patient, and non-judgmental
- Must enjoy interacting and spending time with children 2nd grade through high school
- Must be able to provide own transportation
- Participate in a screening interview
- Must have Current California Driver's License and Valid Proof of Auto Insurance
- Must be at least 26 years of age
- Complete volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/volapp
- Attend an in-person interview
- Pay $35.10 for criminal background & $5 for DMV check
- Provide current copy of driver’s license and proof of insurance
- Attend Big Pal Training prior to being matched
- Participate in supervision meeting with Big Pal, Little Pal, Parent, & Program Coordinator
- Have and maintain a clean criminal history and driving record
- One year
- Two outings per month recommended
- Scheduling is flexible
There is no specified worksite for this opportunity. Big Pals are with their little pals all throughout San Diego County.
Jewish BIG Pals Program Coordinator
We'll work with your schedule.
8804 Balboa AvenueSan Diego, CA 92123
- Youth Services
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Child Welfare
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 26
- Orientation or Training
- We are especially in need of male mentors at this time!