Program: Jewish BIGPals matches children ages 6-16 from Jewish single parent or non-traditional families with a Jewish mentor from the community. BIGPals support the children they are matched with in facing life transitions and help them develop positive self-images, new behaviors, and coping skills. Volunteers make a one-year commitment and meet with
their Little Pal twice per month.
Goal of Position: To provide companionship, friendship, and life-enriching experiences to children from single-parent and non-traditional homes and to help them achieve their full potential through a 1:1 mentoring relationship.
* Serving as a positive role-model in the life of someone who needs it the most
* Helping to enrich the lives of children or teens from single-parent or non-traditional homes
* Personal satisfaction in performing the act of Tikkun Olam- helping to repair the world
* Meet with a child or teen in a 1:1 setting at least two times per month
* Participate in fun and engaging esteem-building activities with child or teen
* Maintain open communication with Program Coordinator
* Provide regular updates regarding activities with Little Pal through monthly Survey Monkey
* Must be Jewish male or female and reside in San Diego County
* Must show stability in personal life, relationships, and work history
* Must be reliable, responsible, flexible, patient, and non-judgmental
* Must enjoy interacting and spending time with children between ages of 6-16
1. Must be able to provide own transportation
2. Must be 25-40 years of age
3. Complete Big Pals volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/volapp
4. Attend up to two JFS interviews
5. Complete background & reference checks (fee paid by JFS)
6. Provide current copy of driver’s license and proof of insurance
7. Complete DMV driving-record check ($5.00 fee paid by applicant)
8. Attend Big Pal Training prior to being matched
9. Participate in supervision meeting with Big Pal, Little Pal, Parent, & Program Coordinator
10. During first year, participate in in quarterly meetings with Program Coordinator
* One year
* Two outings per month recommended
* Scheduling is flexible
There is no specified worksite for this opportunity. Big Pals are with their little pals all throughout San Diego County.
Immediate Supervisor: Jewish BIG Pals Program Coordinator
- Youth Services
- Faith-based Leadership
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 25
- Orientation or Training
- We are especially in need of male mentors at this time!
- Musical Entertainers Needed!
- Event Planning Internship
- Development Administrative...
- Experience Career and Employment...
- Friendly Match: Mentor a Refugee...
- St. Paul's Cathedral: Help...
- Prepare Warm Meals to Feed Your...
- Give a Ride and a Smile: Older...
- Community Presenter Wanted!...
- Mandarin Translator
- Jewish BIGPals: Mentors Needed!
- Nutrition Server: Help Serve...
- Camp Pendleton & Murphy Canyon:...
- Blog & Social Media Internship
- Corner Market Volunteer: Restore...
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Home Not Alone: Help an Older...
- Nonprofit Reception Support...
- Activity Instructor/Facilitator
- Facilities Assitant