Jewish Family Service of San Diego
Volunteer Position Description
Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. We believe our volunteers are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each volunteer is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Be our partner in Moving Forward Together.
Jewish BIG Pal
Jewish BIGPals matches children ages 6-16 from Jewish single parent or non-traditional families with a Jewish mentor from the community. Jewish BIGPals support the children they are matched with in facing life transitions and helping them develop positive self-images, new behaviors, coping skills, and a strengthened Jewish identity. Volunteers make a one-year commitment and meet with their Little Pal twice per month.
Goal of Position:
To provide companionship, friendship, and life-enriching experiences to children from single-parent and non-traditional homes and to help them achieve their full potential through a 1:1 mentoring relationship.
* Serving as a positive role-model in the life of someone who needs it the most
* Helping to enrich the lives of children or teens from single-parent or non-traditional homes
* Personal satisfaction in performing the act of Tikkun Olam- helping to repair the world
* Meet with a child or teen in a 1:1 setting at least two times per month
* Participate in fun and engaging esteem-building activities with child or teen
* Maintain open communication with Program Coordinator
* Provide regular updates regarding activities with Little Pal through monthly Survey Monkey
* Must be Jewish male or female and reside in San Diego County
* Must show stability in personal life, relationships, and work history
* Must be reliable, responsible, flexible, patient, and non-judgmental
* Must enjoy interacting and spending time with children between ages of 6-16
1. Must be able to provide own transportation
2. Must have Current California Driver's License and Valid Proof of Auto Insurance
3. Must be at least 25 years of age
4. Complete volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/volapp
5. Attend an in-person interview
6. Pay $35.10 for criminal background & $5 for DMV check
7. Provide current copy of driver’s license and proof of insurance
8. Complete DMV driving-record check ($5.00 fee paid by applicant)
9. Attend Big Pal Training prior to being matched
10. Participate in supervision meeting with Big Pal, Little Pal, Parent, & Program Coordinator
11. During first year, participate in in quarterly meetings with Program Coordinator
12. Have and maintain a clean criminal history
* One year
* Two outings per month recommended
* Scheduling is flexible
There is no specified worksite for this opportunity. Big Pals are with their little pals all throughout San Diego County.
Jewish BIG Pals Program Coordinator
- Youth Services
- Faith-based Leadership
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 25
- Orientation or Training
- We are especially in need of male mentors at this time!
- Musical Entertainers Needed!
- Event Planning Internship
- Development Administrative...
- Friendly Match: Mentor a Refugee...
- St. Paul's Cathedral: Help...
- Prepare Warm Meals to Feed Your...
- Give a Ride and a Smile: Older...
- Community Presenter Wanted!...
- Mandarin Translator
- Jewish BIGPals: Mentors Needed!
- Nutrition Server: Help Serve...
- Corner Market Volunteer
- Camp Pendleton & Murphy Canyon:...
- Blog & Social Media Internship
- Corner Market Volunteer: Restore...
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Home Not Alone: Help an Older...
- Nonprofit Reception Support...
- Activity Instructor/Facilitator
- Facilities Assitant