Voluntary Service Opportunities at John D. Dingell VA Medical Center
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
113 people are interested
Please go to the VA web site http://www.volunteer.va.gov/apps/VolunteerNow/ and select the state of Michigan and John D. Dingell VA Medical Center from the drop-down menus. Complete the inquiry and we'll be in touch shortly. Thank you!
Here are just a few of the many activities that the Detroit Voluntary Services program continues an involvement:
- Healing Garden: Help provide a relaxing area for patients in our rooftop garden. Volunteers are needed to escort patients to the Healing Garden to help cultivate their plants or another activity such as miniature golf or board games.
- Women's Health Clinic - a clinic area specifically devoted to the care of our women Veterans. The VAVS program provides comfort items for patients, toys and a plays area for their children and associated services for other family members. In addition, VAVS provides with special needs that cannot be accommodated through the Detroit VAMC.
- Seamless Transition/Wounded Warrior Program - created to help our newest Veterans from the campaigns on the war on terror in Iraq and Afghanistan. VAVS helps ensure that everything is available to provide these Veterans with the care and needs these Veterans have earned. VAVS provides monetary and comfort item assistance through funding provided by public and private donors.
- Health Care for Homeless Veterans Program - it is estimated that there are 131,000 homeless veterans in the United States. The HUD-Veterans Affairs Supported Housing (VASH) program is a joint project of the VA and Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) that is designed to help Veterans transition from homelessness to independent, subsidized housing. VAVS helps these Veterans in providing home essentials such as furniture, kitchen utensils, curtains, etc.
- Customer Service Activities - While we continue to strive to be better at providing first-rate customer service at the Detroit VAMC, some of the things that VAVS provides to help that are: Bottled Water for patients, shuttle carts operated by volunteers to transport patients to and from appointments within the facility, comfort Items distribution program, Volunteer Ambassadors at all Info Desks, Birthday Cards and Balloons to patients, and gas cards to patients in need.
- Student Volunteer Program: This is a unique program that serves to bridge the gap between generations and foster an understanding of our Veterans for students. The program has seen many students go on to become healthcare providers.
- National Veterans Rehabilitative Events (Wheelchair Games/Disabled Veterans Winter Sports Clinic/Golden Age Games/Creative Arts Festival): Every year our MedicalCenter sends Veterans to the National Veteran Rehabilitative Events that include the National Veteran Wheelchair Games, Winter Sports Clinic, Golden Age Games and Creative Arts Festival. Voluntary Services provided total funding for transportation and housing for the veterans who participate in these annual rehabilitative events. All of these annual national programs promote the healing of both body and spirit as they motivate eligible Veterans to reach their full potential, improve their independence, achieve a healthier lifestyle and enjoy a higher quality of life overall.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Detroit VA Medical Center
Voluntary Services (118V), 4646 John R, A1015, Detroit, MI 48201, US
To provide a structured volunteer program under the management of VA compensated employees in cooperation with community resources to serve America's Veterans and their families with dignity and compassion.
The VA Voluntary Services (VAVS) program at the John D. Dingell VA Medical Center works to supplement patient needs with the use of donated dollars and volunteers. The Detroit VAVS accomplishes this through a variety of activities, programs and comfort items.
We'll work with your schedule.
4646 John R, Room A1015Voluntary & Community Relations (00CO-VCR)Detroit, MI 48201