Friendly Visitor Opportunity
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where2 Executive Circle, Suite 175Irvine, CA 92614
The Council on Aging-Southern California is a private, nonprofit corporation, serving older adults inOrangeCounty since 1973. The Council mission is to promote the independence, health, and dignity of older adults through compassion, education, and advocacy.
The Caring Connections Friendly Visitor Program recruits and trains volunteers to participate in a countywide program that benefits older adults and persons with disabilities. The goal of this program is to address the loneliness and isolation often experienced by individuals who have no family members or support system to assist them in securing access to necessary health care and other social service resources.
Position Description: The Friendly Visitor Volunteer provides frail adults age sixty and older, and individuals with disabilities age eighteen and older, with a caring companion to help them through social interaction and regular communication in a supportive environment.
Volunteer Responsibilities: Visit an older adult or disabled individual at least once a week in person for an hour or by telephone for half an hour. Record visits to your friend and submit the report at the end of the month. Complete training and necessary forms and attends in-service trainings.
Qualifications and Requirements: Ability to develop a sense of trust and rapport with your new Caring Connections friends Demonstrate good active listening skills Sensitivity toward older adults and persons with disabilities Have access to transportation or a telephone Be fingerprinted through the Department of Justice Minimum 60 hours of volunteer commitment
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Critical Thinking
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum 60 hours of volunteer commitment
More opportunities with Council on Aging Southern California - Preventative Mental Health Department
- Mandarin Speaking Volunteer
- Vietnamese Speaking Outreach...
- Volunteer ages 60+ for Veteran...
- Friendly Visitor Opportunity
- Volunteer ages 60+ for LGBTIQ...
- Caring Connections Friendly...
- Program Intern
- Korean Speaking Outreach...
- Balance and Mobility Instructor...
- Arabic Speaking Volunteer
- Reassurance Calls Volunteer
- Spanish Speaking Volunteers
- Khmer Speaking Volunteer
- Volunteers ages 60+ for Activity...
- Reassurance Calls Specialist
- Telephone Companion Volunteer
- Khmer Speaking Outreach Volunteers
- Arabic Speaking Outreach Volunteer