Patient & Family Support Volunteer
DONATE TO THIS
44 people are interested
Acacia Hospice is a small not-for-profit end-of-life agency located in Burlington County and serving patients and their families across the region. Our volunteers are treasured members of our hospice family and we are incredibly grateful for the ways they support the work we do.
PATIENT & FAMILY SUPPORT POSITION DESCRIPTION
Overall Responsibilities: To serve as a member of the interdisciplinary team and act as a companion/support to patients and their families and to do this work harmoniously in conjunction with other members of the team
Time Required: 2-4 hours per week, weekdays or weekends, days or evenings
Reports To: Acacia Hospice Volunteer Coordinator
- The volunteer is part of an interdisciplinary team and provides support for the patient/family under the direction and supervision of the volunteer coordinator, nurse case manager, social worker, and spiritual counselor. Examples of support include (but are not limited to):
- Providing companionship to patients
- Reading to patients
- Taking patients on short walks or to sit outside
- Providing respite for patient caregivers, including preparing meals for patient, performing light housekeeping duties or running errands
- Document visits in an accurate and timely manner.
- Practice personal and environmental safety while performing job duties.
- Participate in relevant educational activities required to provide competent support to patients and caregivers and to promote professional growth.
- Participate in community education to promote understanding of the agency’s mission, philosophy, programs and activities.
- Displays professionalism in the work environment.
- Performs related duties as agreed to by the Volunteer Coordinator.
Volunteers will be evaluated annually on these responsibilities & will be rated on a poor to excellent grading scale.
- Ability to communicate well with people of diverse background and ages
- Able to respect confidentiality at all times
- Able to work independently in a changing environment
- Able to practice proper infection control
- Able to maintain appropriate personal and professional boundaries
- Feel comfortable with death and the dying process
- Completion of application, interview, background check, health screening, TB testing per the hospice program’s policy and volunteer orientation
- Must maintain open communication with other team members, reporting events or changes of concern
- Provide own transportation to assignments and provide current proof of driver’s license and automobile liability insurance
- Have no significant personal loss within the previous year
We'll work with your schedule.
902 Jacksonville RoadBurlington, NJ 08016
- Veteran Care
- Hospice Care
- Elder care
- Bereavement Support
- Patient Care
- Spiritual Healing
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hours/week for a year