BECOMING A VOLUNTEER
If you are a patient, flexible and reliable adult, and if you like to meet new people and help them, you would be a great Alameda Reads volunteer.
Alameda Reads has helped local adults improve their reading and writing skills for more than 30 years. Our non-pressured, non-academic environment works! Adult learners often come to Alameda Reads because school was not the right place for them to learn. Learners range from ages 18 to 90 and have a wide range of needs and skills. They often have busy lives and want to be able to use their skills right away at home, in the community and at work.
Volunteers are active and engaged listeners. They support the Alameda Reads learning community in a variety of ways depending on program needs and a volunteer’s skills. The health of the program relies on a diverse range of volunteer support including:
- Tutoring adults
- Online social media and web support
- Program promotion in the library and community
- Outreach through fliers and newsletters
- Small learning group support
- Special events coordination
We ask volunteers to:
- Complete a 15-hour training workshop
- Volunteer two hours a week
- Commit to 6 months of service, although we hope you’ll stay for longer!
To volunteer please fill out the application on our web page: http://alamedaca.gov/library/alameda-reads
We hope to hear from you soon!
- Adult Education
- Literacy / Reading
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Two hours per week for at least 6 months