Inspired Youth Mentors Wanted!
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
27 people are interested
This is an opportunity to join a unique intergenerational mentoring after-school group! A small group of third through seventh graders are being mentored by six caring high school students and three college interns.
We are looking for additional mentors of all ages.
Ubuntu meets Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 3:40 to 6:00 at Sullivan School in Holyoke, MA.
Each day in Ubuntu begins with a Community Circle and homework support. Then the Ubuntu children and their mentors participate in activities. The activities include art, spending time talking, dancing, drumming, playing games, storytelling, karate, and more. There are several stations of activities and activities vary from week-to-week. The children choose what they want to do. We finish each day with ten minutes of journaling, and a community circle.
We end with ten minutes journaling, and a community circle, of course!
The goals of Ubuntu Arts Community are:
- For High School and adult mentors to build nurturing relationships with the Sullivan children.
- To support the Sullivan children to care about school and to do well in school.
- To make the arts available to the Sullivan children.
- For all members to build skills in leadership, peer mentoring and facilitating circles.
Here are some of the qualities we've looking for in our mentors:
- Passionate about children/youth, their future, and supporting them
- Reliable, consistent, flexible, and playful,
- Open-minded and a good communicator,
- Has reliable transportation
- Will provide personal references and a CORI
- Attend an orientation and training
- Be available from 3:40-6:00 PM at least one day a week.
- Build caring relationships with Ubuntu children
- Very occasionally join other mentors for a training and/or community building session
About The Performance Project
300 Appleton St, Holyoke, MA 01040, US
MISSION The Performance Project is an arts community of many ages and ancestries that engages young people in artistic training, inter-generational mentoring, leadership development, and community building through the arts.
THE PERFORMANCE PROJECT
The Performance Project began in 2000 as a theater and movement workshop at the Hampshire Jail and House of Corrections in Northampton, MA. We collaborated incarcerated men to create performances based on their personal life experiences to encourage self-reflection and healing.
Our work with youth began in 2008 with First Generation youth program.
First Generation engages youth in artistic training, inter-generational mentoring, leadership development, social justice and community building through the arts. First Gen members may be the first in their family to grow up in the US, to speak English, to graduate high school, go to college, be openly LGBT+, be an activist, break a silence, among many other firsts....
First Gen youth participants create original multi-lingual physical theater. Our plays have been performed in schools, colleges, theaters, summits and conferences in Western Massachusetts, and at two international theater festivals.
Visual Art Residencies bring our artistic and community building process to youth who are incarcerated and in treatment.
We'll work with your schedule.
Sullivan School400 Jarvis AveHolyoke, MA 01040
- Child Development
- Relationship Building
- Music Arts
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 19
- Orientation or Training
- 3 hrs a week minimum