Lewisville area Hospice Patients need Volunteers!
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
15 people are interested
Direct Volunteers serve both patients and families in the home and/or nursing facilities. Typically, volunteers visit once a week or more, at the volunteers discretion. Activities might include socializing with the patient and/or family, listening to a life review with the patient, reading to or writing for the patient; playing games; running errands; listening to music; doing small household tasks or simply sitting quietly as a presence.
Training classes, a one-day Saturday training (at a Lewisville Nursing facility) plus a Home Study done online, are offered to provide help in making every visit a good one. If our training schedule does not work for you, we can arrange a Home Study (online or hard copy manual) and a sit down with the volunteer coordinator before taking on visits to a patient.
Assignments are made as close to your home/office as possible. Volunteers are given choices of who and where they go.
Some things that a patient volunteer could do:
- Grocery Shopping
- Pick Up Prescriptions
- Stay with the patient so the caregiver can go out.
- Be in the home so the caregiver can sleep.
- Read to you.
- Light Meal Preparation
- Walk the dog.
- Make telephone calls.
- Write letters.
- Provides practical help and emotional support to terminally ill patients and their families.
- Make regular home visits to offer friendship and diversion.
- Serves as a willing and sensitive listener.
- Facilitates communication between the patient, the patient's family, friends and other caregivers.
- Provides respite for the caregiver.
- Assists the patient and family in preparing for death, and for funeral and after-death arrangements.
- LISTEN, one of the most important things to do for a patient. Listening also gives clues as to what to ask about......
We'll work with your schedule.
5237 N. Riverside DriveLewisville, TX 75077
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18