Volunteer Services Program - The goal of the Volunteer Services Program is to expand the services and capabilities of the Department of Social Services by utilizing the skills and efforts of volunteers to provide direct services, administrative services, and clerical services.
Within the Department of Social Services, volunteers are considered an integral part of our team. The Department relies on volunteers to:
- Enrich and extend the routine services being offered
- Supplement the work of the staff
- Perform a direct service to our clients
- Serve as a liaison between the community and the Department
- Afford the citizens of Newport News the opportunity to affect the environment in which they live
As a volunteer, you will have an opportunity not only to learn new things, but also to provide service to someone who needs your assistance in becoming self-sufficient. It is our hope that the time you spend with us will be educational, challenging, and rewarding. On behalf of the Department, the staff, and the people we serve, thank you for your interest in sharing your time, energy, and talents.
For more information on the Volunteer Services Program call the Volunteer Services Coordinator at 926-6016.
- Basic Computer Skills
- Administrative Support
- People Skills
- Grant Writing / Research
- Case Work / Management
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 4+ hours per week; 3 month + commitment to service
- Open Monday - Friday at 8 AM - 5 PM only