Literacy Tutors Wanted-Teach an Adult to Read
DONATE TO THIS
56 people are interested
Tutors are needed to help adult who want to improve their reading, writing, and English speaking skills. * Tutors and students meet twice a week for 1 ½ hours each time at the library or other public place.
* All materials are provided to the tutors and learners free of charge.
* Tutors receive training and support from Literacy Staff.
* Student lessons are designed around the goals that the student wants to achieve. Tutors must:
* Be at least 18 years old
* Have average or better reading and writing skills
* Be willing to make a 6-month commitment to their student.
* Have an interest in helping another adult. No teaching experience needed is needed!
Tutoring opportunities are available at Solano County Library Branches in Vallejo, Fairfield, Suisun, Rio Vista, Vacaville.
A list of all library volunteer opportunities can be found here.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Solano County Library & Literacy Services
Solano County Library Headquarters, 1150 Kentucky Street, Fairfield, CA 94533, US
Solano County Library Literacy Services strives to make Solano County a more literate community. Free tutoring is provided for adults of Solano County who want to improve their reading, writing, and English speaking skills. Service is delivered by trained volunteer tutors, either one-on-one or in small group settings.
More than 60,000 adults in Solano County read and comprehend below an 8th grade level, 75% of unemployed adults have reading or writing difficulties and the single biggest indicator of a child’s success in school is the literacy level of its parents. The Library's Literacy Staff recruits and trains volunteers to provide free tutoring to adults who want to improve their reading, writing, and English speaking skills.
We'll work with your schedule.
Solano County Library BranchesSolano County, CA 94533
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1.5 hours twice a week for 6 months