1.95 million people in Ohio don't know where their next meal will come from. This food insecurity often reflects a household's need to make trade-offs between important basic needs, such as housing or medical bills, and purchasing nutritionally adequate foods during a time of temporary poverty. Lutheran Social Services’ food pantries serve 13 counties, addressing the needs of thousands of people year-round. Hungry families and individuals receive food, health care screenings, public benefit services, back-to-school supplies and other services. Annually, over 2 million meals are distributed in LSS Food Pantries, an impossible task without the dedication of thousands of community volunteers!
How can pantry volunteers help?
* Assisting in receiving shipments at the dock, sorting and storing for future use, and shelving for immediate use in the pantry
* Verifying and checking in guests in the pantry software system
* Assisting guests in shopping and selecting items through the choice model and helping guests transport food to their cars
Groups of up to 10 are needed daily to assist at the pantry. Please contact us if your group would like more information about volunteering!
- People Skills
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 12
- Volunteer shifts are 3-5 hours in length
- Groups shifts are available between 9AM and 3:30PM Monday-Friday and 9AM-noon on Satrudays