Do you love to knit? Help abused women from the comfort of your own home.
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
54 people are interested
Handmade Especially for You, a non-profit, tax-exempt 501(c)3, (EIN: 26-3529292) needs knitters who want to make a difference in the lives of domestic violence victims. Please make comfort scarves for abused women!
At Handmade Especially for You, we make and distribute "comfort scarves" for women who have suffered from domestic violence and now live in shelters. We tie each scarf with a ribbon and include a note signed by the maker. Our goal is to provide a gift of comfort to someone who may have never received a gift before and to show that someone cares. In 2012 we made and delivered 12,000 comfort scarves to 60 family crisis centers in Southern California. But we have barely scratched the surface of the need. In 2013, we want to do at least the same so we really need YOU.
Please help by knitting a scarf. If you want to make scarves and need free yarn, we can supply kits so that you can make scarves. If you want to make scarves from your own stash, here are the guidelines (more detailed instructions in "Requirements"):
- Use big needles, size 15, 17 or 19 depending on the weight of your yarn
- Use soft yarn (for comfort).
- Pick happy colors.
- Make them four to five inches wide.
- Make them at least 60 inches long.
- Use open-weave stitch if possible (so they can be used in warm weather climates).
- Add some novelty yarn or ribbon to make them special.
To donate scarves or yarn please mail to:
Handmade Especially for You c/o Leslye Borden
30065 Grandpoint Lane
Rancho Palos Verdes CA 90275
We'll work with your schedule.
This is a Virtual Opportunity, with no fixed address.
- People 55+