BARCC's Medical Advocates meet survivors and their significant others in Boston-area emergency rooms following a sexual assault. They provide support, information and advocacy for clients during their time in the hospital.
Visit http://www.barcc.org/join/volunteer-intern/volunteer/apply to apply!
Requirements and Details:
- Completion of 40 hour Rape Crisis Counselor training and a "buddy" shift after graduation from training (see www.barcc.org for updated training schedule).
- Attend mandatory Peer Supervision on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month from 6:30-8:00pm.
- Sign up for at least one shift per week. Shifts are 5-8 hours in length, during which you will need access to a phone so that you can be notified to go to the hospital if a case comes in. You will not get called to go to the hospital every week.
- A valid driver’s license and access to a car are not necessary. You must, however, be able to make it to hospitals in our service area within 45 minutes of being called out on a case.
- Cases average about 4 hours, so you need flexibility in availability around your shift. You may be called at the end of your shift and then be at the hospital for several hours past when your shift ended.
- Medical Advocacy is currently seeking female-identified volunteers!
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training