Help provide comfort to victims of domestic violence.
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
78 people are interested
Handmade Especially for You, a non-profit tax-exempt 501(c)3 (EIN: 26-3529292) needs knitters and crocheters and anyone who wants to make a difference in the life of domestic abuse victims. Please participate in our scarf project!
At Handmade Especially For You we make and distribute "comfort scarves" for abused women in shelters. We tie each scarf with a ribbon and include a note signed by the maker. Our goal is to provide a gift of comfort to someone who may have never received a gift before and to show that someone cares. In 2012 we made 12,000 comfort scarves and delivered them to 60 family crisis centers in Southern California. We want to do at least the same in 2013 so we really need YOU!
Please help by knitting or crocheting. We also need people who can help do the following things:
- make kits-people with fashion or artistic interest who will help make the kits we distribute to our knitters and crocheters.
- organize the finished scarves and prepare them for delivery to the various shelters.
- provide administrative support by keeping track of yarn in, kits out, scarves in, etc.
- keep the books, track postage for mailing kits out, and donations to cover the cost of the postage.
- write thank you letters to scarf makers and other donors.
If you want to make scarves and need yarn, we can supply kits so that you can knit and crochet scarves. If you want to make scarves from your own stash, here are the guidelines:
- use big needles (15, 17, or 19 depending on the weight of your yarn) or big hooks (K, N, or P, again depending on the weight of your yarn)
- soft yarn (for comfort)
- happy color
- at least 4 inches wide but no more than 5 inches wide
- at least 60 inches long
- open stitch (for distribution in a warm climate)
- some decoration like fun fur or ribbon to individualize
- add a gift tag and tie each scarf with a ribbon so it is a personal gift for the recipient
Please send your finished scarves to:
Handmade Especially for You c/o Leslye Borden
30065 Grandpoint Lane
Rancho Palos Verdes CA 90275
Thanks in advance for your participation.
We'll work with your schedule.
This is a Virtual Opportunity, with no fixed address.
- People 55+