Volunteers are needed to assist with events and classroom visits to introduce children and adults to the animals aboard the Fishmobile, and present learning activities as required. You will share information about natural history, life cycle, ecology, economic value, and status with visitors.
Other duties include monitoring touch tanks and assisting visitors in handling specimens while protecting the welfare of the animals being handled, as well as assisting the Fishmobile Manager with set up at site visits.
The Fishmobile travels to schools and events throughout the Eastern Shore. This position requires flexibility of dates, times and the ability to travel to various locations as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Guides visitors of all ages and abilities on tours of the Fishmobile to ensure a memorable and positive visit
- Leads demonstrations with the touch tanks
- Maintains an accurate accounting of hours
- Promotes PWEC and its mission
- Acts as a presence to provide exhibit security while on duty
- Hands-on training about the plants and animals native to the Chesapeake Bay
- Who else can say they volunteered on THE FISHMOBILE?
- Watch the excitment of children as you teach them about critters from the Bay.
- Free pass to festivals/events
- We travel anywhere within a two hour driving radius of Tilghman Island. Contact us to see where we're heading this summer!
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Professional Development
- People Skills
- Environmental Education
- Animal Care / Handling
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 16