Volunteers are needed feed the fish, turtles and other animals, as well as to maintain external and internal aquariums and flow tanks. Morning shifts are available Monday-Sunday from mid-April through mid-October at Phillips Wharf Environmental Center.
1) Fish & invertebrate feeding - Provide proper portions of food, including fresh, frozen, dry, or live foods, to fish, crabs, and other invertebrates according to instruction. Inspect tanks to ensure all food is eaten and remove uneaten portions as required.
2) Turtle feeding - Provide proper portions of food to turtles, including fresh, frozen, dry, or live foods, according to instruction. Inspect tanks to ensure all food is eaten and remove uneaten portions.
3) External aquarium cleaning - Using designated cleaning supplies and according to instruction, clean exterior surfaces of display and husbandry aquarium tanks.
4) Aquarium inspection - Inspect animals for poor health and signs of distress. Notify PWEC staff of any animals in poor condition. Remove dead animals from aquaria, and preserve or dispose of per instruction.
1) Interior aquarium cleaning - Using designated cleaning equipment and according to instruction, scrub interior surfaces free of algae growth, clean filters, and vacuum aquaria (including under gravel filters where present). Re-fill aquaria with water from appropriate source (ambient Bay water, treated fresh water, artificial seawater of correct salinity).
2) Flow-through tank cleaning - Using designated cleaning equipment and according to instruction, scrub interior surfaces and standpipes, and drain and re-fill tanks, ensuring drain pipes do not clog, animals do not escape, and water flow is restored correctly after cleaning.
- On-the-job training
- Working with animals
- Learn about marine life native to the Chesapeake Bay
- Phillips Wharf Environmental Center, Chicken Point Road, Tilghman, MD
- Environmental Education
- Aquarium Maintenance
- Animal Care / Handling
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 16