School Tour Director- Our school tour program is popular! We host 3rd grade students from schools all over the county during the school year. Our wonderful program complies with the current California state curriculum guidelines for the 3rd grade. Our passion is to teach children about the history of the area in which they live. We have a 2 hour program currently with these activities:
1. Barter Game - we teach students the benefits of bartering by using cards that show various items along with a value for that item. They learn math by the barter system.
2. Making Butter - Students shake jars of heavy cream that miraculously turns to butter!
3. Sand Painting - Telling a story through symbols using colored sand. Native Americans used this medium to tell their stories.
4. Shanty Making - Students use craft paper to create a "shanty" - just like the one in the Museum
5. Museum Tour - Students tour the Museum - learning all about their local history.
The School Tour Director coordinates the team of school tour instructors and volunteers for each class. The amount of time required is a maximum of around 12 hours a week. This is the perfect job for someone who just wants to fill a small amount of your week with school children and fun!
- Teaching / Instruction
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- Varies; 3 hrs/school field trip, 2-3 per wk.
- Perfect for a retired School Teacher!