VOLUNTEER PROGRAM OVERVIEW:
Located in beautiful western North Carolina, CooperRiis is a healing community where individuals with mental health challenges or emotional distress learn new ways to gain coping skills, become independent and attain fulfillment in life through a comprehensive program that addresses mind, body, spirit and heart. Daily work and living routines incorporate yoga, meditation, walking, exercise programs and massage therapy. The food is grown, prepared and served through organic means, and reflects a contemporary philosophy for diet and nutrition.
This is an invitation for you to join us as a volunteer in our intentional community. Come for six months or a year... or, who knows, the rest of your life! There are a wide variety of volunteer roles at both of our campuses and so, if you are excited about our mission statement, it may be possible for you to join our community and then work with our Volunteer Coordinator once you arrive to find the best placement in our volunteer program. Please share your interest with us and we will see if we can find a space that will be of interest to you and help to us. We encourage you to contact our Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com to get more up-to-date information about what is currently available, and to answer any further questions you may have.
You need not be a mental health professional; you do, however, need an enthusiasm for life, a desire to connect from the heart, and the ability to lift the spirits of those around you!
Volunteer opportunities at both campuses include:
* Community Work & Service Program supports residents in learning life skills and practicing healthy routines. Possible roles include kitchen support, "Campus Crew" support, Woodshop support, Animal Crew Support, or Garden Crew support. Within a safe and positive community atmosphere, these volunteers work side-by-side toward common goals with the residents who are here for healing.
* Residential Team provides safety, support, transportation and a social community environment for residents. There is plenty of time to enjoy our beautiful campus through fun activities outdoors, such as games, bonfires or going for walks together. Help us lead creative activities in our large "art barn," which is an artist's playground, including a full pottery studio, a painting/drawing area, a fiber arts corner, dozens of african drums, etc. etc!
* Integrative Health Volunteer supports residents in developing and maintaining habits that encourage physical wellness. Help lead volleyball, soccer, swimming, tennis, and/or pretty much anything else you can dream up to help our community members stay active, healthy and having fun together!
* Farm Support Interns are responsible for many varied farming tasks, while learning and practicing skills related to animal husbandry and vegetable production. These positions are not designed to offer direct support to our residents, but instead offer a "work-trade" experience for people who want to have an immersive and educational farming experience.
* Community Program Volunteers support those residents who are transitioning into the broader community off campus.
* This community is very welcoming toward " wise elders," who may be looking for a second journey to fill any of the above positions.
COMMITMENT AND DETAILS:
- Most of our volunteer roles involve a 40-hour work week for an initial 6-month commitment, with the possibility of extending that commitment for longer (which many of our volunteers and interns choose to do). Other arrangements are open to discussion.
- These volunteer positions come with room-and-board, including a great meal plan, and a stipend of $250.
- The volunteer stipends are not viewed as payment or compensation for your work, but as minimal support so that you can meet basic needs so that you are able to provide service as a full-time volunteer.
This position is UNPAID, with stipend and room/board.
HOW TO APPLY:
If you are a creative, mature individual interested in empowering adults with mental health challenges to recover and rebuild their lives, please reply to this posting or contact us directly by sending a brief letter of interest, including your best contact information and your current resume, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If YOU HAVE QUESTIONS:
Please don't hesitate to contact our Volunteer Coordinator directly at email@example.com. Kevin will be happy to help you explore the many possibilities of a fulfilling volunteer role at CooperRiis.
We are excited for you to become a part of our community!
- Animal Care / Handling
- Music Arts
- Arts Administration
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 6 months or more