Thank you so much for your interest! AseraCare Hospice has a variety of opportunities for individuals of all ages to use their interests and talents in various ways. There are many established volunteer programs available through this organization that encourages people to present their compassion, courtesy, and creativity!
Individuals looking to gain experience in the professional field of hospice, medicine, nursing, social work, psychology, chaplaincy, business, office administration, and/or marketing are more than welcome to volunteer. When the volunteer has proven competence in a specific area, referral letters may be written on volunteer's behalf.
Here is a general list of volunteer programs:
- COMPANIONSHIP - This type of volunteer simply spends time with the hospice patient offering a listening ear, a hand to hold, or an open heart. Companions may give the patient emotional support, offer relief to a caregiver for a brief period of time, assist with practical tasks or provide helpful services such as writing letters, reading, and making phone calls.
- ADMINISTRATIVE - This volunteer will experience the benefit of building relationships with our staff in the office environment. Filing, answer the phone, taking patient admission information, and an array of other tasks are generally performed.
- MUSIC THERAPY - Through this music program, these volunteer sing and/or play musical instruments. Volunteers typically play for a group of patients in local nursing homes.
- PET THERAPY - Under our pet therapy program, trained volunteers and their certified pets will visit patients and bring joy, warmth, and companionship to help brighten the last days of their life. Pet therapy can bring patients a sense of peace and trust; it relieves stress during a difficult time. The emotional benefit of pet therapy continues long after the visit is over.
- ON-CALL - These volunteers generally do not see patients on a regular basis, but are called to see patients on a last minute need. The visit can either be accepted or declined by the volunteer depending on his/her daily obligations.
- BEREAVEMENT - At AseraCare Hospice, our care does not stop with the death of the patient. Grief is a normal reaction to the loss of a loved one, and this is a very difficult time for the remaining family members. Bereavement volunteers provide support services for the family and friends in the months following the death of the loved one.
- GROUPS - School clubs, youth groups, ladies aid, ministry groups, bands, girl/boy scouts, and many other organized units are able to work together and give our patients a beautiful end of life experience.
Volunteers are needed in the following counties:
Please keep in mind that the opportunities with AseraCare Hospice are limitless! Do not hesitate to call or email with any questions regarding volunteer programs or new opportunities! We greatly appreciate your time and interest!
Primary Contact: Jessie Respess
- 252-756-3803 (Office)
- 252-940-8545 (Cell)
- People Skills
- Music Therapy
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Very flexible!
- TB skin and drug test are provided to legal adults