DONATE TO THIS
41 people are interested
OMSI Volunteer Submarine Tour Guide
DONATE TO THIS
41 people are interested
Position Summary: Submarine Tour Guides provide tours of the USS Blueback, a diesel-electric submarine of the Barbel class, launched in 1959. It was one of the first subs to have a "teardrop-shaped" hull, and it was the last non-nuclear submarine in the U.S. Navy, decommissioned in 1990. It was brought to OMSI in 1994 and is open for organized tours during daylight hours when OMSI is open. Detailed training related to these tours and safety protocols will be provided to volunteers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead interpretive tours with guests on the USS Blueback submarine.
- Develop a complete and thorough understanding of the USS Blueback and its sub-systems.
- Perform maintenance and administrative tasks as needed.
- Provided quality customer service to visitors and perform crowd management duties, acting as a ticket-taker, as needed.
- Master all boat safety and emergency procedures.
- Utilize a 2-way radio to communicate with staff regarding the number of tour guests and arrival times.
- When necessary, encourage parties to adhere to OMSI’s safety protocols, including social distancing and wearing protective face coverings.
- Interest in supporting the USS Blueback or submarine science education.
- Strong communication, public speaking and customer service skills.
- Comfortable speaking to 1-6 tour guests with the use of a microphone.
- Foreign language skills or naval background highly desirable.
- Able to listen to and communicate with people of diverse backgrounds,
education levels, and ages.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Able to maintain a calm and cheerful demeanor in a variety of atmospheres.
- Dependable and punctual.
- Must present a professional appearance.
- Willing to follow OMSI rules and procedures, supporting OMSI’s commitment to
safety and accessibility.
- Shift Times: 10:00 to 1:30 pm or 1:30 to 5:00 pm
- Shift Days: Tuesdays thru Sundays
- Minimum number of hours: 8 hours per month, 4 hours per shift
- Minimum age: 18 years
- Attend the following trainings or classes provided by OMSI:
○ Volunteer Orientation
○ Emergency Protocols
- ○ COVID-19 Safety training
○ Customer Service training
○ Role Specific training
- Training and a lifelong learning experience.
- Admission for the volunteer to the museum, theater and planetarium shows, and submarine tours.
- An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
- Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
- The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.
About Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI)
1945 SE Water Avenue, Portland, OR 97214, US
OMSI’s mission is to inspire curiosity through engaging science learning experiences, foster experimentation and the exchange of ideas, and stimulate informed action. Volunteers support the operation of five exhibit halls and eight science labs and hundreds of interactive exhibits and hands-on demonstrations.
OMSI is an independent non-profit 501(c)(3) organization and relies on admissions, memberships, and donations to continue our educational mission, programs, and exhibits.
All are welcome at OMSI.
OMSI is committed to recruiting, hiring, developing, and retaining individuals from a diverse candidate pool regardless of race, age, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, citizenship status, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability, or any other legally protected status.
Equity, diversity, and inclusion guide our process as we build a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills so that we can better reflect and serve our community. We strongly invite applications from candidates who share our commitment to diversity.
1945 SE Water AvePortland, OR 97214
July 30, 2021
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- General Education
- Adult Education
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 8 hours per month, minimum of 9 months