OMSI Submarine Tour Guide Volunteer
33 people are interested
Position Summary: Submarine Tour Guide Volunteers provide tours of the USS Blueback, a diesel-electric submarine of the Barbel class, launched in 1959. It was one of the first subs to have a "teardrop-shaped" hull, and it was the last non-nuclear submarine in the U.S. Navy, decommissioned in 1990. It was brought to OMSI in 1994 and is maintained entirely by volunteers. The Blueback is open for organized tours during daylight hours when OMSI is open.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide interpretive tours to visitors on the USS Blueback submarine.
- Assist staff in the development and maintenance of the submarine.
- Strong public speaking and customer service skills.
- Able to speak clearly and loudly in order to be heard and understood in the environment of the submarine
- Able to listen and communicate with people of diverse backgrounds and age levels.
- Able to quickly comprehend and master technical systems.
- Navy background and submarine experience highly desirable.
- Foreign language skills helpful.
- Able to maintain a calm, pleasant, and cheerful demeanor in a variety of atmospheres.
- Dependable and punctual.
- Self-directed and willing to take initiative.
- Must present a professional appearance.
- Willing to accept leadership from OMSI staff.
- Willing to follow OMSI policy and procedures supporting OMSI’s commitment to safety and accessibility.
- Training and a lifelong learning experience.
- Admission for the volunteer to the museum, theater and planetarium shows, and submarine tours.
- An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
- Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
- The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.
We'll work with your schedule.
1945 SE Water AvePortland, OR 97214
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- General Education
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 8 hours per month, minimum of 9 months