306 people are interested
Pleasanton: Change a Life: Partner With an Adult Learner of English!
ORGANIZATION: Pleasanton Public Library - Pleasanton Public Library
Please visit the new page to apply.
306 people are interested
Think you might want to serve as a volunteer tutor? Attend an upcoming training to find out if this opportunity is a good fit for your schedule, skills and interests!
Pleasanton Public Library
400 Old Bernal Ave., Pleasanton
August 23, 2027, 5-8:30 p.m.
Registration is appreciated but not required - drop-ins are welcome!
Contact us for details or with questions: 925-931-3405 or email@example.com.
Volunteer with Pleasanton Reads! Serving Adult Learners of English in the Tri Valley:
Looking to make a positive difference in your community? New and native adult residents need help with English skills to participate fully in our society. Enjoy a meaningful and interesting volunteer job and give a priceless, life-changing gift to learners in our diverse population!
Pleasanton Library's Adult Literacy Program will train you to partner with adults to improve their English skills. The library supplies tutoring materials at no cost to participants.
Volunteer Roles are in-person or virtual:
- serve as one-on-one or small group tutor
- lead or help with weekly English Conversation Practice Groups
- provide Citizenship Test preparation
- host Book Clubs for English learners
Required for all volunteers:
- Aged 18 or older
- Fluent in American English
- Patient and able to work with people from various backgrounds
- Familiar with American culture
- Attend one Pleasanton Library New Volunteer Training and Orientation session
- Complete self-paced online training: Preventing Discrimination and Harassment in the Workplace, provided by the City of Pleasanton Human Resources Department
- Complete an in-person Live Scan screening with the City's contracted service provider (Screenings are conducted at the City's expense and are required even if participants have completed similar screenings with another organization. The Department of Justice does not share information among organizations for privacy protection.)
Working knowledge of common technology: internet-based resources, apps, video conferencing software. Prior teaching or tutoring experience is useful but not required to serve successfully as a tutor.
Tutors meet with students once weekly for 90 minutes plus prep time.
Note: We are unable to accommodate long-distance volunteer participation. Volunteers must live close enough to our location to complete Live Scan screening from the City of Pleasanton's contracted service provider.
More opportunities with Pleasanton Public Library - Pleasanton Public Library
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Pleasanton Public Library - Pleasanton Public Library
400 Old Bernal Ave., Pleasanton, CA 94566, US
Provide English tutoring to a diverse community.
Library-based adult literacy program that trains adult volunteers to teach other adults English as a Second Language or Adult Basic Education.
400 Old Bernal Ave.PleasantonPleasanton, CA 94566
April 13, 2023
- Literacy / Reading
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 6 months; 90 min/wk (+ ~60 min prep time)