289 people are interested
Pleasanton: Change a Life: Become an English tutor!
ORGANIZATION: Pleasanton Public Library - Pleasanton Public Library
Please visit the new page to apply.
289 people are interested
Think you might want to serve as a volunteer tutor? Attend an upcoming training to find out if this opportunity is a good fit for your schedule, skills and interests!
Wednesday, May 11, 2022, 5-8:30 p.m.
Pleasanton Public Library
400 Old Bernal Ave., Pleasanton
Contact us for details or with questions: 925-931-3405 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer with Pleasanton Reads! Serving Adult Learners of English in the Tri Valley:
Looking to make a positive difference in your community? New and native adult residents need help with English skills to participate fully in our society. Enjoy a meaningful and interesting volunteer job and give a priceless, life-changing gift to learners in our diverse population!
Pleasanton Library's Adult Literacy Program will train you to help adults improve their English skills. The library supplies tutoring materials at no cost to participants.
- serve as one-on-one or small group tutor in person or virtually
- lead or help with weekly English Conversation Practice Groups
- provide Citizenship Test preparation
- host Book Clubs for English Learners
- Must be aged 18 or older
- Fluency in American English
- Ability to work with people from various backgrounds
- Familiarity with American culture
- Volunteers must complete an in-person Livescan screening with the City's contracted service provider (Screenings are conducted at the City's expense and are required even if participants have completed similar screenings with another organization. The Department of Justice does not share information among organizations for privacy protection.)
Working knowledge of common technology: internet-based resources, apps, video conferencing software. Prior teaching or tutoring experience is useful but not required.
Tutors meet with students once weekly for 90 minutes plus prep time.
Note: We are unable to accommodate long-distance volunteer participation. Volunteers must live close enough to our location to complete Livescan screening from the City of Pleasanton's contracted service provider.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Pleasanton Public Library - Pleasanton Public Library
400 Old Bernal Ave., Pleasanton, CA 94566, US
Provide English tutoring to a diverse community.
Library-based adult literacy program that trains adult volunteers to teach other adults English as a Second Language or Adult Basic Education.
400 Old Bernal Ave.PleasantonPleasanton, CA 94566
April 18, 2022
- Literacy / Reading
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 6 months; 90 min/wk (+ ~60 min prep time)