Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes depends on volunteers like you to help us recruit sponsors, teams and other volunteers that will help increase fundraising dollars for diabetes research, information and advocacy. Day of Event volunteers help the event run smoothly and ensure the walk is a memorable experience for everyone! For more information or to sign up, contact the local event coordinator or please complete our online form.
We need people to contribute their valuable time by serving in the following areas:Committee Leadership
Help the Association raise much-needed funds to Stop Diabetes in one of these ways:
- Join a local Executive Committee to recruit new sponsors, teams and other volunteers.
- Join a local Planning Committee to help secure in kind donations and plan the day of event activities.
- Assist with marketing the Step Out event in your community, get involved by helpinginspire other participants to fundraise or help with navigating our Step Out Center!
We count on our Day of Event volunteers to ensure a successful Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes experience. Volunteer opportunities include:
- Registration: Welcome Team Captains and walkers, help get them registered and distribute t-shirts.
- Rest Stop: Serve refreshments, offer assistance and provide support to walkers.
- Finish Line: Serve refreshments and cheer and greet walkers as they complete their day.
- Floaters/General: Assist in areas such as food runners, trash patrol, box bundlers, unloading, post-event breakdown, cleanup or any unforeseen needs that come up.
- Route Set-Up: Placing markers and route signs including tables/chairs/tents at water stops.
- Food and Beverage Tent: Prepare food such as slicing bagels, placing food on serving platters, assembling snack box, setting up cold drink areas and keeping area tidy and cleaing up leftovers.
- Advocacy Team: Sign up walkers to become Diabetes Advocates this duty requires volunteers to approach walkers asking them to sign the petition.
- Team Photo Area: Assit and encourage team to promote team spirit and keep walkers hyped up!
- Cheeres; Start/Finish Line: All volunteers that are willing to upkeep morale and cheer on the walkers as they starit their walk and cross the finish line. Noisemakers, bubles, signs and otherfun itemswill be provided to make the experience rewarding for the volunteer and the walker.
- Kids Zone: Volunteers help set-up Kid Zone tables, chairs, and shade tenet, and ensure that ll kids get a turn with activiites.
- Goody Bags: Set-up Goody Bad Area. Assemply goody bags, hand out to walkers as they return to the Festical Zone.
- Site Tear Down: Assist in securing the site back to original state, items that are put up to be torn down, All equipment and materials packed up and loaded on trucks and all tables and chairs taken down and stacked for the movers to picked-up.
Thank you for taking an interest in the American Diabetes Association, and I hope you will consider joining our mission to improve the lives of those affected by diabetes simply by volunteering at our Step Out: Walk to STOP Diabetes event this fall! This year's walk will be held on October 29th at Palo Alto College and we are expecting more than 2,000 walkers!
As a small token of our appreciation, you will receive an official Step Out volunteer T-shirt, food and beverage, and a goody bag on the day of the walk
If you have any questions about volunteering, please contact Amber Fralick at AFralick@diabetes.org or call (210) 829-1765 ext. 6124.
- People Skills
- Food & Beverage Services
- Event Planning / Management
- Event Management
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 17
- Orientation or Training