Our mission is to work with school staff and community volunteers to improve literacy skills of elementary school students (Kindergarten - 5th Grade).
Through patience and encouragement, the volunteers often enhance the self-esteem and confidence in the children they work with, too. We see these results by noting the children's successes in their classrooms as well as the results of school-based and standardized tests.
Applications are now being accepted for the 2017-2018 school year. Tutoring usually begins in the middle of October.
Schools of Hope volunteers:
- Are placed between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. (mostly in the morning) Monday to Friday
- Work in elementary schools in Madison and Sun Prairie.
- Commit at least one hour per week on a consistent basis for at least one academic semester
- Receive on-site orientation and training
- Literacy / Reading
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 1 hour/week