362 people are interested
Help Someone Read & Write as an Adult Literacy Tutor (Virtual or In-Person) @ Cupertino Library
ORGANIZATION: Santa Clara County Library District - Cupertino Library
Please visit the new page to apply.
362 people are interested
Are you looking for ways to give back to the community?
The Reading Program, Santa Clara County Library District’s adult literacy program, is looking for tutors to work one-on-one with adult learners who wish to improve their reading, writing, and communication skills.
We work with dedicated, patient, flexible, and sensitive volunteers who create a positive learning environment where adults in our community can thrive and learn without embarrassment.
With improved literacy skills and the confidence that comes with them, adult learners are able to pursue a better life and a better future for themselves, their families and their communities.
To be part of our program, no prior experience is necessary.
What are the requirements to volunteer?
- Adults (age 18 and up)
- Be patient, adaptable, and dedicated
- Be able to read and write in English at a high school level
- Attend orientation and training
- Clear online background check (fees covered by SCCLD)
- Dedicate at least 2 hours a week to your learner for at least 6 months (choose your own schedule)
- Prepare learner-centered lessons (tutoring materials and resources will be provided)
How do I register?
- To register for a tutor orientation, please submit the online tutor registration form on our website: https://sccld.org/reading-program/become-a-tutor/
- The site listed above is also where you can find more information on the dates and locations of our upcoming orientations and trainings.
- Registration is required
We look forward to hearing from you!
The Reading Program Team
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Santa Clara County Library District - Cupertino Library
10800 Torre Avenue, Cupertino, CA 95014, US
The Public Library is dedicated to free and equal access to information, knowledge, independent lifelong learning, cultural enrichment, and the joys of reading for our diverse community.
Public libraries in California seek to engage the talents, skills and commitment of volunteers to serve the communities' information and literacy needs. Libraries offer a variety of skilled volunteer opportunities to make a meaningful contribution to library programs, operations, fundraising events and other community engagement functions. Skilled volunteers have opportunities to lead projects, work with teams of staff and volunteers, learn new skills, and have fun.
10800 Torre Ave.Cupertino, CA 95014
November 15, 2023
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- Reading / Writing
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Teaching / Instruction
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hours a week; 6-month commitment is requested
- All background check fees are paid for by the Library