Adult Literacy Tutors @ Los Altos Library - An Opportunity to Make a Real and Lasting Difference
78 people are interested
The Reading Program (RP), Santa Clara County Library’s Adult Literacy Program, is looking for tutors to work one-on-one with adult learners who wish to improve their reading, writing, and speaking skills.
We work with dedicated, patient, flexible and sensitive volunteers who create a positive learning environment where adults can thrive and learn without embarrassment.
With improved literacy skills and the confidence that comes with them, adult learners are able to pursue a better life and a better future for themselves, their families and their communities.
To be part of our program, no prior experience is necessary.
Before being matched with a learner, volunteers, who must be over 18 years-old, have to:
- Attend a 1-hour orientation and a 5-hour training
- Have a live scan/background check done (request done and fees paid by the library)
- Be available to tutor 2 hours per week for at least 6 months.
Next Tutor Orientations are scheduled for:
- Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 2:00-3:00 pm or 6:00-7:00 pm at the Library District headquarters in Campbell
- Wednesday, February 12, 2020, 2:00-3:00 pm or 6:00-7:00 pm at the Gilroy Library
Next Tutor Trainings* are scheduled for:
- Saturday, January 25, 2020, 12:30 pm- 5:30 pm at the Library District headquarters in Campbell
- Saturday, February 22, 2020, 12:30 pm- 5:30 pm at the Gilroy Library
*For more information on upcoming orientation/training dates and locations, please check out our website: https://www.sccl.org/Services/Reading-Program/Orientation
You can also contact us at:
We look forward to hearing from you!
The Reading Program Team
About Santa Clara County Library District - Los Altos Library
13 S. San Antonio Road, Los Altos, CA 94022, US
The Public Library is dedicated to free and equal access to information, knowledge, independent lifelong learning, cultural enrichment, and the joys of reading for our diverse community.
Public libraries in California seek to engage the talents, skills and commitment of volunteers to serve the communities' information and literacy needs. Libraries offer a variety of skilled volunteer opportunities to make a meaningful contribution to library programs, operations, fundraising events and other community engagement functions. Skilled volunteers have opportunities to lead projects, work with teams of staff and volunteers, learn new skills, and have fun.
We'll work with your schedule.
13 S. San Antonio Rd.Los Altos, CA 94022
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- Reading / Writing
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hours per week