Sunday Suppers is looking for GROUPs of 5-8 people to carry out its mission of Food, Fellowship and Friendship that has been serving the district's homeless for over 20 years.
Like many homeless outreach groups in the district, we provide hot meals, clothing and occasional wellness kits to our population. Unlike other organizations, Sunday Suppers sets friendship and fellowship at the top of our priority list.
You will find us every Sunday, first at the corner of 4th and K Streets from 6pm-7:15pm, then in the parking lot of New Bethany Baptist Church at 1300 10th Street from 7:30-8:30pm, sharing meals with new and old friends to the sounds of Motown or the live Nats or Redskins game.
We are looking for TEAMs of 4-6 individuals who can work together to prepare and serve our standard menu to fight hunger. In the past, groups have included church adult or youth groups, Kiwanis Club members, Howard University students, or just groups of friends. Your group will be asked to prepare all of our main menu items and to be on hand to serve and spend time with our population, but the groups won't be alone. At least one of our key volunteers who is familiar with the set-up will be there every step of the way.
The roles we need you to fill are as follow:
1. Soup Chef - prepare a soup or large batch of pasta. Recipes can be provided, as well as pots.
2. Sandwich Maker - prepare 200 baloney sandwiches, and stuff them (2 per bag) into 100 ziploc bags.
3. Egg Boiler - prepare 200 hard boiled eggs.
4. Drink Mixer- prepare our large coolers with tea and water. Instructions provided.
5. Volunteers for serving and conversing: the more the merrier!
The cost for the ingredients can be reimbursed or we can provide you with a tax deductible donation receipt.
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment