VITAS' Memory Bear Volunteers make home-sewn bears with compassion and love to ease a hurting heart after the death of a VITAS patient. The bears are sewn from items of the patient's clothing: a favorite pair of jeans, pullover top, dress, bathrobe, nightgown, etc. A Memory Bear may recall the closeness of a loved one, bring a smile to someone in distress, or offer a sense of security to a child who feels alone after the loss of a grandparent, parent or sibling. The fabric is provided by the family; the pattern, support and stuffing are provided by VITAS and the creativity is provided by the Memory Bear Volunteer. Bears can be made in the volunteer's home or at the VITAS office.
- Reading Comprehension
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Critical Thinking
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training
- 3 Memory Bears a month
- VITAS Paw Pals Volunteers
- VITAS Craft Volunteers
- VITAS Administrative Volunteers...
- VITAS Administrative Volunteers
- VITAS Bereavement Volunteer
- VITAS Volunteer Memory Bear...
- VITAS Patient-Care Volunteers -...
- VITAS Patient-Care Volunteers
- VITAS Musical and Visual Artist...
- VITAS Hair Care Volunteers
- VITAS Paw Pals Volunteers -...
- VITAS Massage & Reiki Volunteers