Hospice Volunteers Needed!! Pittsfield area
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
69 people are interested
Hospice Service of Western and Central Massachusetts
- Quality of care is one of the cornerstones of our mission - a mission that could not be accomplished without the many 'helping hands' of our volunteers. Hospice Services of Massachusetts and Hospice of Western & Central Massachusetts has a dedicated volunteer force of caring individuals and we offer opportunities in just about every area you can imagine. Whether you can give four hours a month or four hours a day, we can use your help!
- All of our volunteers receive extensive training in providing comfort and support to families facing end-of-life issues. Topics covered during volunteer training include hospice, ways to improve communication, active listening, identifying and respecting cultural differences, spirituality, and grief and the healing process.
- Without the contributions of each and every one of the volunteers, we would not be able to provide the level of care and comfort to our patients for which we are renowned.
- Volunteers are an invaluable part of our interdisciplinary team. They demonstrate a deep commitment to the Hospice Philosophy and to their desire to help others. Volunteers perform direct services, both tangible and intangible, on behalf of the patients and their family and indirect services in administrative, and education on behalf of the agency. They may assist the patient with companionship, caregiver relief, meal preparation, listening and complementary therapies. They provide an atmosphere of warmth and understanding for the family during and after each death. They share their special skills. They function as a friend and confidant.
What do Hospice volunteers do?
- Our volunteers assist patients and their families in a variety of ways, including:
- Sitting quietly with a patient
- Administrative work in the Hospice office
- Assistance with errands, transportation and household chores
- The most valuable skill a volunteer has is the ability to be a compassionate presence. Volunteers increase the quality of life by offering emotional support and companionship to patients and their families.
Hospice volunteers report they are motivated by the desire to give something back and soon find that the spiritual and emotional rewards they receive far out weigh the time and caring they contribute. Volunteers gain satisfaction by making a positive impact on the lives of others.
How to become a volunteer?
- There is a place for you as a Hospice of Western & Central Massachusetts volunteer. The rewards of sharing and caring are beyond measure.
- To ensure that all volunteers are equipped for the challenge of working with the dying, Hospice Services of Massachusetts and Hospice of Western & Central Massachusetts require that volunteers complete extensive orientation and training sessions, as well as submit to a routine background check. It’s important that volunteers understand the history of Hospice Services of Massachusetts and Hospice of Western & Central Massachusetts and are aware of the specific ways their local hospice works to serve the community. Depending on area of service, additional training may be available or necessary.
Honoring Our Veterans
- America's Veterans have done everything asked of them in their mission to serve our country and we believe it is never too late to give them a hero's welcome home. Now it is time that we step up, acquire the necessary skills and fulfill our mission to serve these men and women with the dignity they deserve.
- We understand that some combat veterans who have coped well throughout their lives may experience increased combat-related memories and distressing emotions during their end-of-life journey. Exposure to traumatic events may also impact physical health later in life. We recognize that the effects of military service, good and bad, can continue to resonate throughout a lifetime.
- Hospice Services of Massachusetts and Hospice of Western & Central Massachusetts offer a special program which recognizes and honors the contributions made by veterans. We offer to facilitate an appreciation ceremony, wherever our patients may reside, and present each of our veterans with a personalized recognition to express our gratitude and thanks for all they have done for our country.
- Call today to learn more about your place on the Hospice team. You can make a difference!
We'll work with your schedule.
Pittsfield and surrounding areaPittsfield, MA 01201
- Massage Therapy
- Hospice Care
- Bereavement Support
- Patient Care
- Spiritual Healing
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Any amount your able to give