We are looking for an individual with a mind for marketing to join our team to help make more people become aware of our great nonprofit website. Our organization focuses on news about making the world a better place, particularly news related to topics such as global poverty, philanthropy, climate change, voluntarism and human rights. All volunteering is via the computer -- you can be anywhere in the world.
The marketing volunteer usually does a mix of the following:
1) Research potential nonprofits that would be a good match for our website. Nearly all of our news is oriented towards making the world a better place, and that's also the mission of most nonprofits We particularly focus on things like global poverty, human rights, democracy, climate change and fighting modern-day slavery. So people who work at and donate to nonprofits that focus on those topic areas are an ideal audience for our news website. Therefore, we want to find those nonprofits and reach out to them.
2) The second main area is doing the outreach to the nonprofits and asking them if they can do either or both of : a) let their team members know about us. and b) let their supporters know about us in their newsletters or social media pages. In the big picture, if their supporters learn more about these topics, they will be better and more committed long-term supporters. So it's to their benefit if their supporters read our articles. It's a win-win for them and for us. We will primarily contact them via email and their social media accounts.
3) Volunteers also research potential media outlets and blogs to cover our site, send out our press releases, and keep track of coverage of our site that has occurred. The volunteer also helps promote the website by updating our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages, attracting new followers, and interacting with our existing followers.
4) We are also creating many exciting new websites that you could be involved in marketing. They fall into two broad categories:
A) a group of innovative websites to provide other nonprofits (and their supporters) with unique tools they can use to raise money for their causes. This link below gives an overview: click the "See More" buttons at the end of the sections. In the future, each logo will go to a unique website focused on that fundraising tool. About half of the logos are already linked to early drafts of the sites:
A few examples are:
This is a sample of how a person's fundraising page will look - the format will be the same at most sites, but each will have a unique logo, activity and color scheme:
We've ported the entire IRS database of 1 million nonprofits to our website, so all 1 million nonprofits will automatically have pages at all of the fundraising websites. E.g. - this is how a nonprofit profile will look
B) new projects to fight global poverty, slavery and climate change. You can see the logos of many of them at these links. In the future clicking on each logo will go to a unique website:
There are other climate change websites we're creating and the best ones are not up there yet.
One of the anti-slavery websites is a modern-day equivalent of the Underground Railroad. You can see the video we made for it and a draft of the website here - when we launch, it will be at .org -
No marketing experience is required, but you must be organized, pay attention to detail and be good at communicating. The marketing position is a minimum of seven hours per week for a minimum of five months. We tend to give preference to applicants who can do a sizable number of hours.
You will be doing real stuff that directly brings our website to more people and supports our nonprofit's mission to help the world. You will also gain valuable experience that will build your skills and look great on a resume. Some of our volunteers have gone on to work at full-time marketing jobs for companies such as Reply.com and Bonfire Marketing. Two of our volunteers started their own non-profit organization after eight months of volunteering with us.
To view our front page, visit -
To read more about us, view the links here -
If you apply for a position, you should view your commitment to it the same as if it were a paid position. We treat volunteers like normal staff and rely on them like staff. Our site is 99% volunteer run and we all depend on each other to make it a success. Please do not apply if you are viewing this opportunity as "just a volunteer position" and would treat it as less important than paid positions or other commitments you have.
If you are in school, volunteering with us can function as an internship. Interns can usually receive credit with their school for their internships.
If you're interested in volunteering, please email us at email@example.com and let us know:
* How many hours per week and how many months can you do? We tend to give preference to people who can do more hours.
* A description of your past work/volunteer experience and education, or a resume or a link to a LinkedIn profile.
You can also apply directly through this website by clicking the button for that, and giving us the same information. Sometimes emails sent through this volunteer website are routed to spam folders, so we recommend you check your spam folder during the coming weeks in case our reply to you ends up there. We look forward to doing great work together to make the world better with you.