Adult Literacy Services at Lodi Public Library provides free one-to-one tutoring for adults in basic literacy skills- reading, writing and mathematics. Some of our learners also study to pass their GED test or to pass their U.S. Citizenship test.
Significantly impact the life of an adult whose limited literacy is a problem in their everyday life. Committed tutoring in a one-to-one or small group basis will result in improved literacy skills for the learner, thus allowing them to achieve personal and academic goals.
The tutor/learner relationship is the core of Literacy Services. Tutors and learners meet once or twice weekly, according to their personal schedules for 1 to 1 1/2 hours per session. Tutoring schedules are flexible, so if a tutor or learner must miss a scheduled session, they simply notify their tutor / student. Literacy tutoring is truly a way to provide new opportunities to an adult who needs a helping hand. Thank you for your willingness to make a difference in someone's life by giving them the gift of reading.
- All volunteers are required to get fingerprinted by the City of Lodi, at no cost to you
- Attend 8 hour Tutor Training Workshop
- Attend periodic Tutor In-Service Workshops
- Prepare lessons tailored to the learner's needs and interests
- Complete and return Quarterly Tutor Report four times a year
- Complete and return Roles & Goals Report twice a year
- Notify the Adult Literacy Office of any challenges, questions, or situations that could affect the tutoring process for you or your learner
- Literacy / Reading
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training