Be a friend to a veteran.
32 people are interested
VETERAN VOLUNTEER JOB
Importance of Position:
Befriending a Veteran managing mental health issues, and offering regularly-scheduled, supportive friendship is vital for those recovering from mental illness; you help them to enjoy a more productive life, prevent costly rehospitalization, promote their recovery and give them a chance to experience camaraderie with someone who has walked a mile in their boots. Your time and life experience are extremely valuable to friends that are utilizing mental health and recovery services.
Positive motivation to be of assistance to another Veteran
Good listening skills
Reliable - keeps commitments
Sensitive to the needs of the person who will be your CompeerCORPS Participant
Reports to: CompeerCORPS Coordinator and/or Compeer Program Director
Complete one CompeerCORPS Orientation session
Establish & maintain friendship with your matched Veteran of the same gender
Submit required monthly report to Compeer Office
Orientation regarding mental health diagnoses, types of treatments, communication skills (listening, empathy, etc.,), boundaries, and expectations.
Benefits of Volunteering:
Make a new friend while being of service
Make a real difference in the life of a Veteran who has a mental illness
Opportunity to achieve personal goals
Four (4) hours per month, at least weekly contact with friend, in person or by phone
Length of Commitment:
A minimum of one year
Grounds for Termination:
Failure to carry out assigned responsibilities or work within the program guidelines
Contact Person :
CompeerCORPS Coordinator at (610) 541-0790
SIX WAYS TO VOLUNTEER
1) One-to-One Friendship - 4 hours a month
2) Compeer Calling Volunteer - 10-15 minutes a week
3) E-Buddy Volunteer - contact primarily through email, texting, and/or electronic communication
4) Pen Pal - written correspondence ( letters, cards ) at least twice year month to offer support
5) Member of Compeer Advisory Board - volunteer serves to help on the Compeer Advisory Board to give input and decision making. Advisors meet four times a year.
6) Grant Writing supporter and reviewer
Please call us at 610-541-0790 or email us at email@example.com for more information
We'll work with your schedule.
411 Dartmouth AveSwarthmore, PA 19081
- Mental Health
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Veteran Care
- Orientation or Training
- 4 Hours , 10-15 min phone calls, texting, emailing, pen-pal
- Background Check