Make a difference in a child's life. Become a certified JABA FISH volunteer in the local schools and you can experience the joy and satisfaction that comes from helping a child succeed. "Friends in Schools Helping," (FISH), is a JABA program that matches community residents with children that need help in our local schools. Now serving Charlottesville, Albemarle, Fluvanna, Louisa, Nelson and Greene!
- Everyone needs to have lunch. Consider joining students at one of the schools. It’s a great way to get to know them as they get to know you before helping in a more structured format.
- If you prefer to spend your time reading and would like to engage students as they emerge as competent readers, consider giving an hour a week to help out.
- Do you have a passion for helping children succeed in math? Help make the subject come alive to those who are struggling to grasp the concepts.
- Can you communicate in different languages? Multi-lingual volunteers help support English Language Learners gain confidence in the classroom.
Fill in a JABA Volunteer Registration Form to get started or contact Carleigh Showalter at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The next orientation/training sessions will be held Summer 2017.
- Child Development
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1 hour a week during the academic year