Come outside and volunteer with Wildernes Youth Project!
Nature connection makes children smarter, healthier and happier. Our programs foster confidence, health, and a life-long love of learning through active outdoor experiences and mentoring. In order to share these benefits with the diverse demographics of our community, we include youth and families with a range of abilities and backgrounds.
Each week Wilderness Youth Project programs explore resource rich locations such as the creeks, beaches, mountain trails, and open spaces in Santa Barbara’s abundant front country. Research has shown that time in nature improves a child’s cognitive flexibility, emotional stability, critical thinking, creativity, self-esteem, and self-discipline. WYP programs create connection with the natural world through well-facilitated, age-appropriate time in nature, individualized mentoring and through exploration and knowledge of place
SCHOOL YEAR VOLUNTEERS:
- Attend a volunteer orientation, fill out a waiver & get fingerprinted
- Commit to one session at a time (Fall I, Fall I, Winter, Spring) Spring runs through June 1
- Volunteers meet with two staff to prepare for each program 30 minutes before program, mentor 9-12 children through the program, and stay 30 minutes post program to debrief. This typically requires a 4-5 hour commitment once a week, on the same day each week.
- Camps meet at locations in Santa Barbara and Goleta. Most groups travel to different locations daily, from Rincon Beach to the Santa Ynez River and destinations in between.
- see www.wyp.org/volunteer/volunteer-school-year/ for more info
- Youth Services
- Outdoor Recreation
- Child Care
- Relationship Building
- Environmental Education
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Please see above description
- Able to communicate by e-mail