Job Title: Communications Officer
Description of Organization:
Chemists Without Borders is working on solving humanitarian problems in a number of countries using the expertise of chemists in our community but also with a number of non-chemists. In Bangladesh, for example, we are working with high schools to educate students on the health hazards of arsenic in drinking water. In two of those schools, we have been able to raise funds to replace their wells contaminated with arsenic. This project will bring safe water to about 4000 people. We are also developing a Health Education Course for Bangladesh elementary and secondary students. In Bangladesh, we are also setting up a facility to manufacture inexpensive test strips to measure arsenic concentration in water and another facility to measure arsenic concentration in rice.
We are also developing chemistry kits using small quantities of chemicals for high school students in Sierra Leone. This will allow schools without a chemistry lab to still do chemistry experiments.
We have many other projects. These are just examples. We could do much more with your help. We are greatly in need of a Communications Officer who could tell our story to the world and help us to recruit additional volunteers and funding. We look forward to hearing from you.
This position is unpaid.
- Develop and execute comprehensive communications strategy with
Pre-determined deadlines and outcomes that will raise our public visibility finding ways to reach key stakeholder audiences
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by our organization.
- Create marketing/public relations strategy that will allow CWB to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences.
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization
- Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them
- Manage social media platforms developing a strategy to grow the audience and increase user engagement
- Ensure creation and distribution of our newsletter, solicit editorials and blog posts. Serve as spokesperson when needed
- Coordinate webpage maintenance-ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, Projects and events) is posted regularly
- Regularly analyze and report on results of communications efforts providing reports that track website, social media and other performance metrics
- Research and create fresh and relevant written content describing our work and impact on the community which will aid in inspiring donors to action
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3+ years experience in a communications role
- Experience managing and executing across several communications media
writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, required
- Experience with Wordpress and/or HTML, preferred
- Willing to execute day to day tasks and work independently
- Ability to prioritize and follow through effectively
While the above qualifications are desirable, passion about our mission, desire to make a difference in the world, and the willingness to work hard to achieve goals often compensate for specific educational and experience qualifications. If you find the position attractive, let us hear from you in any case.
Please email your resume to email@example.com
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment