Type of Work: Volunteer Tutor.
Purpose: To help an adults to acquire basic reading, writing, conversation, cultural
skills to meet self-identified goals.
Training: 12 hour basic literacy tutor workshop. At the end of the training, you will be a Certified ESL Tutor through Literacy Works. (FREE)
Place of Work: One-to-one tutoring will occur in a neutral place in the community such as our office, the
library branches or a church.
Hours: The volunteer tutor and student should meet once or twice weekly. Schedule is to be determined by the tutor and student.
Duration of Work: After a volunteer has been matched with a student, the volunteer should
plan to work with that student long term (determined by tutor and student).
Volunteer Duties: Provide encouragement and support by:
1. Helping the student develop confidence and a positive attitude toward learning by
affirming their thinking and progress in the lesson.
2. Showing respect for the student by listening to what he/she has to say and by involving
him/her in decisions about the learning process.
3. Selecting materials and approaches that are suitable to the student’s skill level and
needs and giving praise whenever the student is successful.
4. Encouraging the student to respond to difficult materials by being supportive rather than
critical of his/her mistakes.
5. Seeking to understand the psychological, emotional, and physical problems that may
cause a student to have difficulty learning to read.
6. Meeting regularly and punctually.
1. Dependable and prompt.
2. Interested in and enjoys relating to a variety of people.
3. Willingness to maintain the confidentiality of the lesson.
4. Literate (professional training is unnecessary).
5. Flexible, friendly, patient and optimistic.
6. Sense of humor is helpful.
1. Altered perception of the world.
2. Increased understanding and appreciation of different values and lifestyles.
3. Increased skill in creative problem-solving.
4. Certificate presentable to any employer or other organization for proof of Literacy training.
5. Possible free East Asian (Japanese/Korean/Chinese) 10 wkcourse--depending on hours served.
- Adult Education
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training