This program offers current students with one-hour, private tutoring classes with an APDC volunteer teacher. Many of our students have participated in our program for some time, but need the opportunity to have additional conversation practice with someone outside the classroom. In most cases, the volunteer will act as a conversation partner. In other cases, the volunteer may be asked to assist a student with a specific English need (e.g. pronunciation, reading, writing practice for the citizenship exam, etc.).
Volunteers are able to decide their schedule and how many hours they would like to teach, but we do ask that volunteers commit to at least 10 weeks. Currently, our greatest need is for volunteers who are available on Thursday or Friday evenings between the hours of 5-8 or who are available Tuesday mornings or afternoons.
If you are interested in volunteering with the Adult Education Department, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state your availability, your volunteer area of interest, and answer the following questions:
1. Why do you want to be a volunteer in our organization?
2. Do you have any past educational, cross-cultural, or general experience working with immigrants or refugees? (It's okay if you don't!)
3. How do you feel about working with individuals who may have backgrounds, education, religious beliefs, or values different than your own?
4. How do you handle stress and conflict?
5. Please let us know any other information that you feel would be relevant.
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training