Position Summary: Science Playground and Discovery Lab are OMSI's areas where young children are able to learn and explore in fun, educational settings. Volunteers assist parents and children in experiencing hands-on open-ended activities and exhibits, and assist staff in maintaining the space to ensure the safety of our youngest visitors and their families.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist parents and children ages six and under in the Science Playground and Discovery Lab by facilitating hands-on activities such as bubbles or spin art, leading story time, facilitating cognitive research-based demonstrations, or engaging visitors with discovery boxes.
- Explore ideas and questions of child development with parents and caretakers.
- Maintain a presence in the hall while resetting and interpreting exhibits.
- Prepare materials and maintain supplies for activities and classes, test activities with visitors.
- Maintain a safe and secure environment for visitors by assisting in supervision of children, including observation and enforcement of consistent rules and limits.
- Assist educators during classes by monitoring activities in the hall and preparing for upcoming activities.
- Answer visitor questions and provide other information about the museum.
- Assume other duties/projects as agreed upon with an educator.
- Interested and familiar with brain development science and early childhood education.
- Engaging and eager to work with parents and children from all backgrounds.
- Committed to sharing accurate science information age appropriately.
- Strong communication and customer service skills.
- Able to promptly bend and stoop as needed to help maintain tidy appearance, integrity and safety of the area.
- Maintain a calm, pleasant, and cheerful demeanor in a noisy and crowded environment.
- Must maintain a professional appearance.
- Dependable and punctual.
- Self-directed and willing to take initiative.
- Willing to follow OMSI rules and procedures.
- Training and a lifelong learning experience.
- Admission for the volunteer to the museum, theater and planetarium shows, and submarine tours.
- An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
- Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
- The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.
- Child Development
- Math / Science Instruction
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 8 hours per month