Do you want to assist low-income Minnesotans navigate the tax system and claim all the tax credits they deserve? Volunteer for Prepare and Prosper!
WE ARE CURRENTLY ACCEPTING NEW VOLUNTEERS FOR THE 2017 TAX SEASON.
What will I be doing as a TAX PREPARER?
The individual tax preparer works one-on-one with Prepare and Prosper (P and P) customers to prepare state and federal tax returns. By doing this they help the customer access important tax credits like the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). Preparers also serve as a trusted (and free) resource, ensuring customers file correctly.
Role and responsibilities:
- Prepare state and federal tax returns using tax software called Tax Slayer
- Direct appropriate customers to on-site financial services
- Work cooperatively with staff and other volunteers to provide high-quality service to customers
- Maintain customer confidentiality, providing as much privacy as logistically possible
- Knowledge of basic income tax preparation and meet one of the following criteria: Experience filing your own tax return, taken a tax law or income tax accounting course at the college level and/or work in the accounting field
- Ability to effectively communicate and engage with customers
- Computer proficient
- Enjoy working in a diverse ethnic and socio-economic environment
Timeline and Commitment:
- Attend a new volunteer fall orientation on 10/27. 11/5, 11/9, 11/19, 12/1, 12/10, OR 12/20.
- Attend 16 hours of classroom training in early January and pass open-book IRS certification exam by 1/15
- Volunteer one, four hour shft per week from January 21-April 15 and impact the lives of your community!
Location: We have 8 tax clinics throughout the Twin Cities - 3 in Minneapolis, 3 in Saint Paul, 2 in suburbs (Hopkins/Bloomington).
Please visit Prepare and Prosper's website for more information about our positions visit: http://www.prepareandprosper.org/volunteer
INTERESTED? Sign up for a new volunteer orientation here: http://www.prepareandprosper.org/volunteer/how-to-apply
- Financial Planning
- ETC / Tax Assistance
- Basic Computer Skills
- Financial Literacy
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- One, four hour shift per week from Jan-April 2017
- 1.5 hr orientation + 16 hrs of training