Refugee children and youth come from a variety of educational backgrounds and experiences; many with little to no formal education prior to arrival in America. Through the New Beginnings Program, volunteers are paired with refugee children and youth, assisting in literacy attainment and homework help. They work with students to establish good study skills and support parental involvement in their child’s education. Volunteers introduce families to their new community through group discovery field trips. Commitment is at least 1 hour /week at least through the current academic year. This opportunity requires volunteers to be 16 years of age or older, enjoy working with kids, able to get to the meetings, and experience in educating youth.
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 6 months
- Citizenship Tutor
- Bilingual (Spanish-English)...
- Donations Procurement Assistance...
- Start a Donations Drive
- Donations Organizer
- English as a Second Language Tutor
- Building Futures: Youth Tutors...
- CLIENT TRANSPORTATION
- Special Events Volunteer
- New Beginnings Youth Tutor/Mentor
- Donations Organizer - Warehouse
- Summer Youth Program Volunteer
- Elderly Program Volunteers/Mentors
- Family Center Volunteer
- Grocery Shopper
- Apartment Set-Up