**Please note: we are accepting applications and completing interviews, but volunteers will not be trained on positions until after the COVID-19 disruption is over. Due to the fluidity of the situation, it is difficult to know when that will be. Thank you for understanding.**
Shelter Support Volunteers assist the shelter staff in managing our emergency shelter. The shelter provides a safe and dignified space for 22 women and 44 men every night. We provide housing advocacy, healthcare services, toiletry, and basic clothing supplies, showers, lockers, and three meals a day. Our goal is to help our shelter guests move into safe, affordable, and stable housing as soon as possible.
Sample Volunteer Tasks
4:45 PM - 5 PM: Get to know staff, make coffee.
5 PM - 6 PM: Assist with checking in the shelter guests.
6 PM - 7 PM: Become familiar with shelter supplies and prepare to open the supply room at 6:30 PM.
7 PM - 8 PM: Enjoy dinner with the shelter guests.
8 PM - 10 PM: Talk with guests, distribute supplies, make coffee.
7 AM - 9 AM: Assist with wake-up requests, make coffee, set-up and replenish breakfast cereal, talk with guests and answer any questions they may have for the day.
This volunteer opportunity is available 7 days a week, year-round. Volunteers may sign up for a 4:45 pm - 9:45 pm shift or a 7 am - 9 am shift.
The experience you gain as a volunteer will develop and hone skills that are useful in school, a career, and life. Upon your request, we will provide a letter of recommendation for school, work, or scholarship. Skills practiced at the shelter include:
Active listening techniques
Healthy professional boundaries
Ability to be assertive
Volunteers gain a deeper appreciation for their lifestyle and enjoy a new network of people by meeting shelter staff and other volunteers.
1. Complete our online volunteer application at http://simpsonhousing.org/volunteer_ap.html
* Be sure to select "Shelter Support at the Emergency Shelter" from the drop-down menu under "Volunteer Position Interest."
2. Christina Giese will contact you to schedule a 15-minute phone interview
3. Attend a 2-hour orientation, including a shelter tour
4. Complete a criminal background check
5. Sign up for a Shadow Shift, your hands-on training at the shelter
7. Commit to volunteering 50 hours in a six month period.
Voted Best Way to Cleanse Your Soul by City Pages and Kare 11 TV's Opportunity of the Month for March 2008!