Shelter Support Volunteers assist the shelter staff with managing our emergency shelter. The shelter provides a safe and dignified space for 22 women and 44 men every night. We provide housing advocacy, healthcare services, toiletry and basic clothing supplies, showers, lockers, and three meals a day. Our goal is to help our shelter guests move into safe, affordable, and stable housing as soon as possible.
Sample Volunteer Tasks
4:45 PM - 5 PM: Get to know staff, make coffee.
5 PM - 6 PM: Assist with checking in the shelter guests.
6 PM - 7 PM: Become familiar with shelter supplies and prepare to open the supply room at 6:30 PM.
7 PM - 8 PM: Enjoy dinner with the shelter guests.
8 PM - 10 PM: Talk with guests, distribute supplies, make coffee.
9 PM - 11 PM: Get to know staff, the other volunteer, and guests. Assist with dishes and laundry.
11 PM - 4 AM: Sleep in the secure volunteer sleeping room.
4 AM - 6 AM: Make coffee, set up breakfast cereal, assists with laundry, and fulfills wake-up requests.
This volunteer opportunity is available 7 days a week, year round. Volunteers may sign up for a 4:45 PM - 10 PM shift, a 9 PM - 7 AM shift, or both on the same day.
The experience you gain as a volunteer will develop and hone skills that are useful in school, a career, and life. Upon your request, we will provide a letter of recommendation for school, work, or scholarship. Skills practiced at the shelter include:
- Active listening techniques
- Multi-cultural communication
- Healthy professional boundaries
- Ability to be assertive
Volunteers gain a deeper appreciation for their lifestyle and enjoy a new network of people by meeting shelter staff and other volunteers.
1. Complete our online volunteer application at http://simpsonhousing.org/volunteer_ap.html
2. Christina Giese will contact you to schedule a 15 minute phone interview
3. Attend a 2 hour orientation, including a shelter tour
4. Complete a criminal background check
5. Sign up for a Shadow Shift, your hands-on training at the shelter
7. Commit to volunteering 50 hours in a six month period.
Voted Best Way to Cleanse Your Soul by City Pages and Kare 11 TV's Opportunity of the Month for March 2008!
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- A minimum of 50 hours within 6 months.
- Simpson Housing Services is looking for responsible, reliable, and respectful volunteers who have
- Shelter Support Volunteer
- Diaper Drive A-Go-Go!
- Welcome Home Basket Provider
- Shelter Connect Liaison
- Morning Rush Coffee Drive
- Lunch Provider for Shelter Guests
- Literacy Mentor
- Give a BOOST to Literacy...
- Shelter Hot Breakfast Provider
- Shelter Hot Evening Meal Provider
- Youth Group Overnight and...
- Tourists and Travelers: Give us...
- Undercover Drive!