Shelter Support Volunteer
DONATE TO THIS
333 people are interested
Shelter Support Volunteers assist the shelter staff with managing our emergency shelter. The shelter provides a safe and dignified space for 22 women and 44 men every night. We provide housing advocacy, healthcare services, toiletry and basic clothing supplies, showers, lockers, and three meals a day. Our goal is to help our shelter guests move into safe, affordable, and stable housing as soon as possible.
Sample Volunteer Tasks
4:45 PM - 5 PM: Get to know staff, make coffee.
5 PM - 6 PM: Assist with checking in the shelter guests.
6 PM - 7 PM: Become familiar with shelter supplies and prepare to open the supply room at 6:30 PM.
7 PM - 8 PM: Enjoy dinner with the shelter guests.
8 PM - 10 PM: Talk with guests, distribute supplies, make coffee.
7 AM - 9 AM: Assist with wake-up requests, make coffee, set-up and replenish breakfast cereal, talk with guests and answer any questions they may have for the day.
This volunteer opportunity is available 7 days a week, year round. Volunteers may sign up for a 4:45 PM - 9:45 PM shift, or a 7AM - 9AM shift.
The experience you gain as a volunteer will develop and hone skills that are useful in school, a career, and life. Upon your request, we will provide a letter of recommendation for school, work, or scholarship. Skills practiced at the shelter include:
- Active listening techniques
- Multi-cultural communication
- Healthy professional boundaries
- Ability to be assertive
Volunteers gain a deeper appreciation for their lifestyle and enjoy a new network of people by meeting shelter staff and other volunteers.
1. Complete our online volunteer application at http://simpsonhousing.org/volunteer_ap.html
2. Christina Giese will contact you to schedule a 15 minute phone interview
3. Attend a 2 hour orientation, including a shelter tour
4. Complete a criminal background check
5. Sign up for a Shadow Shift, your hands-on training at the shelter
7. Commit to volunteering 50 hours in a six month period.
Voted Best Way to Cleanse Your Soul by City Pages and Kare 11 TV's Opportunity of the Month for March 2008!
We'll work with your schedule.
Simpson Housing Services' Emergency Shelter2740 First Avenue SouthMinneapolis, MN 55408
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- A minimum of 50 hours within 6 months.
- Simpson is looking for responsible, reliable, and respectful volunteers who have the ability to communicate with people of diverse backgrounds.