VITAS Hospice is seeking voluneters to sew Memory Bears for the family members of those we have cared for that have passed away. Memory Bears are made from the patient's favorite flannel shirt, fluffy robe, a pair of worn-out jeans or a pressed uniform. Whatever most reminds their loved one of them. The Bears have proven to provide grief support in a most unique way. With our easy-to-follow pattern, their garments can be transformed into a precious memory for family members and other caregivers. This is a great way to provide comfort and support by using your sewing skills to lift the spirit of a family member or friend who has recently suffered the loss of a loved one. We provide you with stuffing and the family provides the fabric; you provide the talent and sewing skills. Support for the bears is available from other Memory Bear Volunteers.
- Exhibition Arts
- Bereavement Support
- Hospice Care
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- You have 8 weeks to complete orders of 3 bears
- Come to the office to pick up the pattern and stuffing. New sewers MUST complete 1 practice bear.
- A Hospice Cosmetology Volunteer
- A Hospice Patient Care Volunteer
- A Hospice "Life Review" Volunteer
- A Hospice Veteran Volunteer
- A Hospice Telephone Assurance...
- Administrative Hospice Volunteer
- A Hospice Alternative Therapy...
- A Hospice Volunteer-Teen Program
- A Hospice Bereavement Volunteer
- A Hospice Memory Bear Sewer
- A Hospice "Paw Pal" Pet Volunteer